heart Power Cords

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 5 years 10 months ago
I don't know about you, Wayne, but that still looks pretty expensive at half the price, and with uncertain provenance too. Why that would be half the cost of the regenerator I'd like to buy!

By the way, Nordost warns against discounted (I presume new) cables; there are some counterfeits out there.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 10 months ago
OK, I've listened to the Nordost Heimdall 2 on the Marantz AVR enough to have some conclusions.

I played several Mariss Jansons conducted Beethoven Symphonies (the 5th and 7th), wanted to hear what full orchestra sounded like. Best instrument separation I've heard yet, double bass was deep and rich, even breastbone shaking, drums were right there, dramatic, all stringed instruments rich full and natural, oboe, flute, clarinet et al right on and sweet. And everything sounded amazing playing together, each part distinct. I was and am impressed!!!!!

I can only speak for my system, room and listening preferences as usual, but for me this is the power cord that's staying right there, does the best job I've heard yet, is SO natural and sweet sounding, and yet powerful, rich, majestic when the full orchestra chimes in. Same SQ kick results as when playing pop, movies etc. I'm sold.

Charlie, I too wonder about the quality chain for some of these power cords... can be looking at multi thousands pretty quickly to keep going up the chain. I guess my perspective still is that speakers are the ultimate limiting factor in how far the SQ journey can go, and there is NO WAY I would consider spending anything close to the cost of T Ref's for instance on power cords in lieu of getting the T Ref's themselves. Still believe the solid foundation is GEt speaker based.

So I'm happy as a clam right where I am for now, just enjoying the heck out of everything I'm playing. And it's still breaking in....

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 10 months ago
Rick,

Thanks for the report. I have been listening to the Mahler symphonies. I recently discovered a set of recordings (not all the symphonies) by Yoel Levi with the Atlanta Symphony on Telarc. These are terrific performances and rank among the best technical recordings I have ever heard. With the Heimdall PC, I can hear the most amazing detail in all the instruments. They are sweet and full and the sense of presence is astounding.

So, I'm a fan of this PC too. It really seems to have perfect balance and accuracy.

I suppose someday I'll want to tune things further. I could replace the Red Dawns on my amps with Heimdalls. I could get a regenerator to solve the upstream problem once and for all. And it does seem strange to contemplate spending more money on the power side than the cost of the TRefs. Yet somehow I think the TRefs will still reveal the improvements. There doesn't seem to be any limit to these speakers that I've heard yet.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 10 months ago
Hi Guys,

I have been following the PC conversation with interest. Although I would have otherwise found it hard to believe, nevertheless I must accept your collective findings that power cords do make a significant audible difference in sound.

I do not plan to pursue alternate PCs at this time. However, if and when we move to Raleigh, after we are settled, I might attempt to work with Audio Advice, the GE dealer in Raleigh from whom I purchased my Triton Ones, to see if there is any way for me to "trade up" to the References.

Or, I might try to find a way to trade my Sevens in for References so that I can have References as Fronts and One as Rears. I have found a way to locate a second pair of floor speakers in the Raleigh house, so I could either use the Sevens as Rears, or move the Ones to the Rear and use References as the Fronts.

Expecting that moving up to the References would be the first step and more important that PCs, I will wait to see what we do and what happens with regard to the move before considering a PC upgrade.

Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy the fruits of your collective labors with regard to PC sound improvements.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 10 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Hi Guys,

I have been following the PC conversation with interest. Although I would have otherwise found it hard to believe, nevertheless I must accept your collective findings that power cords do make a significant audible difference in sound.

I do not plan to pursue alternate PCs at this time. However, if and when we move to Raleigh, after we are settled, I might attempt to work with Audio Advice, the GE dealer in Raleigh from whom I purchased my Triton Ones, to see if there is any way for me to "trade up" to the References.

Or, I might try to find a way to trade my Sevens in for References so that I can have References as Fronts and One as Rears. I have found a way to locate a second pair of floor speakers in the Raleigh house, so I could either use the Sevens as Rears, or move the Ones to the Rear and use References as the Fronts.

Expecting that moving up to the References would be the first step and more important that PCs, I will wait to see what we do and what happens with regard to the move before considering a PC upgrade.

Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy the fruits of your collective labors with regard to PC sound improvements.

Happy listening,

Art

Hey, Art!

I can’t imagine a more significant SQ step you could take than considering the T Ref’s!!!! You’re often looking for more full bass, well the T Ref’s deliver that and amazing SQ throughout the frequency range. If you then wanted to further fine tune, yes by all means there are power cord upgrades that can take advantage of the transparency of those speakers.

IF you wanted to get a taste of what power cords can do to upgrade the SQ you already have with your current system, then there’s lot’s of choices described on this thread. Any would give a boost, and would also boost any future speaker upgrades.

You know and love lots of great music... you’re really thinking about goosebump level boosts to your listening pleasure IMHO!!!!

I’ve never looked back, don’t think you would either!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 5 years 10 months ago
I've been thinking...AND...Well...I HATE YOU GUYS! All this talk about Nordost Heimdall 2 PC's. I've gotta have one! Oh Baby, Christmas is right around the corner.

Thanks so very much Guys, for empty pockets and broken dreams...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back