file SuperSat 5.1 System > Triton 7.4.4 System

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hello Rob138,

At the risk of starting a small war, I am recommending that you use all of your diplomatic skills and begin your GE experience with the Triton Ones. Two years ago, I began my GE odyssey with a pair of SuperSat 3Cs. These speakers became my Fronts, along with a Paradigm sub which I already owned. Once introduced to the GE sound, I soon craved more. So, about a year ago I added a pair of Triton Sevens as Fronts and moved my SuperSat 3Cs to L/R Centers. The Sevens are fine speakers and should have satisfied me, but the more I read about the Ones, the more I wanted them.

So, about 5 months ago, I purchased a pair of Ones. They are now my Fronts, with the Paradigm moved to the rear of my room. Yes, the Ones are imposingly large, but we soon became used to their presence. My wife loves music and was so impressed with the balanced sound coming from the Ones that she overlooked their size.

Currently, I am using my Sevens as a second pair of separately driven fronts. But, had I bought the Ones before the Sevens, I would not need the Sevens.

Thus, I encourage you to think hard before your first GE purchase. The Ones, with their integrated subs are really spectacular speakers and offer a variety of hookup options. I listen primarily to classical music, with some jazz, folk and pop occasionally tossed in.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Rob138

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rob138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 47
Rob138 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Solid advice, ArthurDaniels... you have given me more ammunition in this quest for audio bliss! Trust me, it would take all of the sweet talk I could muster and a little luck on my side to win that battle.

As far as the coin difference (SS-5.1 to TO-3.2), it would be almost a $2000 increase and I'd be getting less speakers. I'm a little torn! What are your thoughts on a 3.2 system with the Triton Ones vs the 5.1 system with the SuperSats? Would I be missing a lot of enveloping sound if I only have the front soundstage? I've heard the SuperCenter and Triton towers offer an impressive soundstage, but does it compare to an actual physical surround sound system?
Triton One Front L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Invisa MPX Surrounds
Marantz SR5010 7.2 Receiver
Sony KDL-46XBR4
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Rob,

Anthem makes some great products and any of the MRX receivers would sound great with the GET speakers. I used to be a loyal Denon owner but several years ago found that their receivers just didn't sound as as good as the competition. I think their amplifier section is a bit weak but that's not uncommon these days with receivers. Though Marantz and Denon are sister brands, I believe that Marantz still sounds better, depending on the models you compare.

Do you have a receiver that you could use temporarily until newer models come out? You can look up refurbished Marantz receivers on Google. The top hit will have other low cost, refurbished products. You could look for anything with pre-outs in the price range you want. This would be a good lower cost option. They also carry Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Integra. All are solid and would make a good back up receiver. I bought an entry level Yamaha from a big box store as a back up while I exchanged my Integra. It's only 5.1 with no pre-outs but it sounded decent and I've kept it as a back up unit.

I agree with Wayne and Art on the T1s. If there is a way to swing it without causing any permanent damage, I'd go that route. Cost was an issue for me, so Imputchased the Aon 3s first and saved for a while until I could afford the Ones. For what it's worth, you would not need a subwoofer in your current room so that would save you some money and floor space... In either case, your current plan is solid as well and you will be happy either way.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: Add info info_outline
Rob138,

My primary listening mode is "Pure Direct" 2 channel stereo for music. My Triton Ones are also part of a 9.3 channel surround system, but my main interest is music, not movies. Therefore, I don't have an opinion regarding a 2.2 system versus a 5.X system for movies.

My thought for you would be: If surround sound is your primary goal, then your phased plan is probably a good way to go, unless you can start with the Ones and use other existing speakers as surrounds until you can add additional GE speakers. My setup and gear collection have both evolved over the years, so I had the advantage of owning several other speaker pairs and AV Receivers when I began my GE quest. I use almost all of my legacy equipment to provide multiple audio sources to drive my speakers separately, resulting in a complex interconnected AV system.

Regarding the cost issue: Talk to you GE Dealer about extended "same as cash" financing. I am paying for my Triton Ones on such a plan. Use of no-cost extended financing might allow you to purchase additional gear up front.

Consider all your options before making your first move.

Best,

Art

• Rob138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 47
Rob138 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
The battle has commenced! Our recon has determined her forces have weakened, but are still standing. The financial aspect of the war and logistics of the towers are the key to victory.

Financially speaking, she is 100% into Dave Ramsey - Debt is Dumb; Cash is King. The same as cash financing is a great idea (thanks Arthur!) that I didn't think about because of the Dave Ramsey philosophy. If my dealer offers that, I'm sure I can cut a deal with my wife. The other aspect is logistics. She's still very against having the T1s in that small of a room. Could someone measure the base of their tower so I can mark out where they will sit on my floor? I think that would help her visualize it better.

T Cobe, I do not have a receiver currently so I'd be looking for something that puts out decent wattage to at least 5 channels refurbished. Any specific models you guys could suggest would be appreciated. Maybe past years flagships have reduced in price. I was thinking about looking up past receiver reviews on Audioholics.
Triton One Front L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Invisa MPX Surrounds
Marantz SR5010 7.2 Receiver
Sony KDL-46XBR4

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by T Cobe. info_outline
www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/ca...s/1.html?&r=55c5d299

Rob,

The Wife and I went through the Ramsey training as well. Kicked through the debt snowball and only owe money now on our home. It's a good system and why I saved a few months to purchase the T1s. The T1s will fit in a 13" wide and 20" deep space. Again, in your room, there should be no need initially for a sub. If you use the LFEs on the T1s, you'll have plenty of bass for home theater.

Check out the link above for a list of receivers. There are some pretty good deals there. I wouldn't worry too much about amplifier ratings. They can be very misleading. If you step up to something with pre-outs, you can add your separate amps when you're ready or go cheaper and use this as a back up unit. See what catches your eye. I'd stick with the Marantz or Yamaha but that's my preference. I've been frustrated by my Integra/Onkyo with HDMI switching issues and won't go back to that brand. Good luck and happy hunting.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice SuperSat 5.1 System > Triton 7.4.4 System