file SuperSat 5.1 System > Triton 7.4.4 System

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Merry Christmas Rob138!!!!!
You have already gotten great advice from the Moderator Dude, stay with manual at least until you figure out that your room really is messing up your sound, and IF (it may well not be) that is the case, then you can try Audyssey, but beware, it really S**KS most of the time. You can almost always do a better job of setup even by ear, without a sound meter, but of course, having one will help.
I think you are gonna be amazed at how great a sound you have!!!!
Break things in a while, including your own ears. Play with speaker positioning, toe in and such, get them really dialed in where you wat them. You have lots of fun listening and tweaking to do in the next few weeks. ENJOY!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, Rob138

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rob138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 47
Rob138 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Rob138. info_outline
Making progress, thanks to all of your feedback! I started from scratch manually setting everything up and only keeping the distance settings from the Audyssey setup. Now I have crazy amounts of bass and I believe I know why. While changing settings on the receiver, I made the mistake of enabling LFE+Mains. On the Marantz, this is basically the "Double Bass / Super Bass / Bass Plus" discussed in Sandy's Setup Tips. When I get home tonight, I'll be changing this setting back to only LFE. Hopefully this helps with the boomy bass sound that I've been experiencing. And, if the stars align, I will be able to get the Invisa MPX surrounds installed tonight! Did some cable management last night as well and I think it looks acceptable. I attached a Panoramic shot of the front sound stage - looks kind of weird and out of focus from my cell phone. I'll post some more pics officially in the Show Off Your System thread once everything is complete.
Triton One Front L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Invisa MPX Surrounds
Marantz SR5010 7.2 Receiver
Sony KDL-46XBR4
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Rob,

Things are looking good and I bet sounding even better! I bet your tweeter heights are all close to the same height in that setup too. Let us know what your final settings are in regards to crossover settings as well as any other menu items.

The T1s definitely don't need double bass for movies! I was amazed how much LFE they could generate. Throw in some good demo material and just enjoy (while you're wiring the rear speakers of course). I'll definitely be curious where you land with the corssover settings and to hear how the MPX speakers sound.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Rob,
Great pic and an interesting report!!!
You are set up there for the center channel to REALLY sing!
My question would be: how far back are you sitting? I wouldn't think you could sit too far back with that close speaker placement. And TV size too. You MAY want to experiment on moving your main listening position up a bit, toeing in the speakers towards you, and MAYBE lifting up the back of the SC XXL a touch to "aim" it at your ear level--depending on how high or low you sit.
Don't be afraid to experiment to get it all dialed in the best sound for you!!!!
I find that most people sit too far back from the TV because they think they are supposed to. You want that TV to fill your vision when watching a movie, the best it can anyway. And you may be surprised how much better the music will sound too. OR NOT, just try different things.
Happy listening and pls keep us informed, you are building an exciting system!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Rob138's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 47
Rob138 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Great news! I changed the setting back to LFE from LFE+Mains and the entire system sounds MUCH better! I was amazed as to how much bass it still had after the change. T Cobe, here are the current settings in my setup -

Speaker Config
  • Front : Large
  • Center : Small
  • Sub : Yes

• Levels
  • Fronts : - 6.0db
  • Center : - 6.0db
  • Sub : - 2.5db

• Crossover
  • Front : Full Band
  • Center : 80hz

• Bass
  • Sub mode : LFE
  • LPF for LFE : 120hz

• Triton Sub Setting : 10 o'clock position - I'm planning on changing the sub setting to 11 or 12 o'clock and experimenting.

I bought the only SPL meter I was able to find (that was under $30) at Fry's Electronics and set the levels to 70db. On the receiver, I set the volume to 0db and set the levels to 70db.

Wayne, I was thinking about angling the XXL down a bit since I'm sitting a little lower. The thought of hammering in feet to the bottom of my brand new speaker is a little jarring! I am currently 10' away from the TV and speakers. It's a 46" TV so, at that distance, I should have a 65" TV which I'm planning on purchasing sometime next year.
    Triton One Front L/R
    SuperCenter XXL
    Invisa MPX Surrounds
    Marantz SR5010 7.2 Receiver
    Sony KDL-46XBR4
    The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    Great report Rob!!!!
    Don't do anything permanent to the SC XXL, just use some rubber pucks or feet under the back, something to lift the back a little but removable.
    I hear you about getting a bigger TV later, we all have to work and save and bring it all together slowly.
    You are on a great roll though, pls keep up the reports on how it goes.
    Happy listening, have fun,
    God Bless, Wayne
    The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
    menu
    close
    Menu
    person_outline
    arrow_back
    You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice SuperSat 5.1 System > Triton 7.4.4 System