file External Amp?

• Jason Mclaughlin's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Jason Mclaughlin Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Need a little help if XPA-5 would provide a noticeable improvement over my dedicated receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-A 3030 pushing a 9.2 system made up of Goldenear Trition One, SuperCenter XL, Invisa MPX for sides, and SuperSat 3 for highs. My media room is large at 6300cuft with two rows of seating. I primarily use media room to watch movies with the receiver set at -5 dB. Any help would be appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, fopmc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hey Jason,
That is a great system you are putting together.
Yes, external amps will help, will give you more headroom and power. More clarity.
And for the future, they will allow you to easily upgrade with a really good processor.
You have made the most important decision, you got your self some great speakers!!!!
Well done, happy listening and enjoy the ride.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, fopmc

• Eric Tichi's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 76
Eric Tichi Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Without question. I would be interested in beefing up the LCR channels in a system like that. At the bare minimum, I would get a 3 channel. Emotiva is great but there are better that can be had at a similar price if you don't mind used. Check eBay and Audiogon.com for deals.

Research and understand amplifier specifications on capacitance, S/N ratio, and the size of the power transformer. There is more to an amp than just watts. Then only you can decide if Emotiva is "good" enough. For me, I try to buy things one time.
Play it loud.

Emotiva UMC-200
Parasound A21
Parasound A23
Triton 5 L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Dayton 18 sealed (DIY)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 3 months ago
From a review standpoint, the Yamaha RX-A 3030 seems too be a top notch perfomer, with a best of award from What Hi Fi. The only time I would recommend a receiver by itself, would be if you and the ole lady listen to romantic comedies exclusively. If it were up to my wife we would watch nothing but Drew Barrymore & Renee Zellweger, but Anthem needs his Terminator/Transformers fix, so an external amp is most necessary.

Given the size of your room, an Emotiva xpa -5 might be just what the doctor ordered, and they're on sale.
As Wayne said, the benefits of an add on amp will reward you with increased headroom and clarity.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
I was looking at a review on whathifi that said that "Yamaha does sacrifice outright tonal neutrality and a touch of precision. While not lacking in agility, low frequencies are quite chunky. Slightly tauter bass with more definite edges would have delivered a better-punctuated impact. That’s our only quibble, though."

Source: www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a3030/review

At my house -5 dB is well into the 90dB range average with peaks in the 100 range. So, yes, another amp for you if you're playing that loud may make a noticeable difference.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Fidelity issues, as opposed to volume, dynamics, etc., are more likely front-end (preamp and DAC) issues than amp issues. Especially true if these fidelity issues are present regardless of whether the volume is at max.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series External Amp?