file External Amp?

• Steveo's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 9 years 2 months ago
I have the T1s with a brand new XXL (coming from a 60c) and Supersat 3s as surrounds with a Yamaha rx 1040 and a emotiva XPA-5 so I probably have a very close system to what you are proposing since I have a midrange from this year where you have the top of the line from the year before.

Let me tell you the addition of the emotiva xpa5 made a huge difference in movies for me at least. It gave me a lot more punch than running off the Yamaha's amplification and it powered movies effortlessly.

I noticed you were mainly into movies not so much music. To me you can spend a lot of money on power amps. I feel that if the application is for movies than the emotiva would be a good end solution for you.

I have also heard amps like the parasound Halo a5 is pretty good too at 220w a channel. I can't remember where I saw it but a reviewer was stating that there wasn't much difference between the two and the halos are heaps more expensive. You will have to google "xpa5 vs parasound halo" and check the emotiva boards. Some people turn their noses up to emotiva so they might know something I don't I am not sure. But it does sound good to me.

For me personally if it was just movies you were after the emotiva should be fine. When I say fine I mean brilliant for movies with your gear. Let's face it for movies you need power for loud explosions and dialogue. I can't see how having a way more expensive power amp will really make much difference for movie applications. Otherwise I feel you will be heading into the 1% better Territory.

However I will say If you ever wanted to use this system for music then potentially another more expensive 5 (or even just 2) channel amp might be much better for music resolution and fidelity. As the moderator pointed out I think the fidelity for the music comes more from the preamp side than power amp side anyway.

The emotivas are incredible value for what they are and especially the xpa5 should be considered for your application especially if you are listening that loud and you will see an improvement over the Yamaha's anyway. Just my 2 cents.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Perhaps a little bit from left field - but, regarding helping dialogue, here is what I have done: I have a Center Pre-Out on my Onkyo Receiver. I have connected the Center Pre-Out to a separate and inexpensive stereo receiver so that I can independently adjust the audio level of the dialogue to match the other sound characteristics of whatever DVD I'm watching. I have L/R SuperSat 3C speakers for Centers and they are connected to the stereo receiver L/R channels.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Jason Mclaughlin's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
Jason Mclaughlin Posted 9 years 2 months ago
I appreciate the input from everyone on the forum. I did add an Emotiva xpa-5 to compliment my Yamaha 3030 and I have to say WOW. I guess I never realized how much my side speakers were clipping but now with the Emotiva I can crank it. Previously the movie “Edge of Tomorrow” first scene when they are on aircraft and about to drop for deployment would cause some serious clipping from my left side speaker and now with Emotiva sound is undistorted. My center speaker dialogue sounds so much better since adding the Emotiva. Also the addition of the amp allowed my back and front highs to be much livelier since the Yamaha is only powering those four speakers. I am completely satisfied with my purchase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hey Jason,
That is a great report and I would think, that is exactly what you want to accomplish by adding an external amp, especially a really good amp!!!! I am glad it freed up better sound from you Yammy too.
What more to say, well done man!!!!
Enjoy your tunes and movies, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Tsgt2007. info_outline
I'm looking at a external amplifier for the home theater and after doing some research I came up with the audiocontrol pantages G3 for the Triton 3's and Sat 50's.. What do you folks think about this Amplifier?
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Jose,

It's good to hear from you. It's been a while. I'm glad to hear you're considering an external amp. I think it's a great natural progression for you and you will definitely be rewarded with improved sound. What will you be using for a pre-amp/processor? Are you considering an upgrade to the Maestro M9 as a pre-processor as well?

AudioControl is a great brand and receives great reviews. While I have not heard any of their gear first hand, I'm confident it would sound very good. It does seem a bit on the pricey side and is a huge leap from an AVR. Have you listened to the amp first hand? What were your impressions? What are you long term goals for your system and theater setup?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series External Amp?