file External Amp?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
eiffel62,

Thanks for the input on the new Gen3 amps. You're building quite a system! I bet it's sounding fantastic: T1s and T2+s together?! Very nice.

Sorry to hear about the mishap with the Crowne amp. Seems like you have that completely out of the system now and also went with the XMC-1. I hope you're enjoying the sound. As soon as your T1s are back, everything should work extremely well together. Combined with the Oppo 105, the Emotiva gear should be great for 2-channel music as well.

Thanks for joining in on the discussion. I look forward to future posts. Have you posted any pics of your setup yet? If you're comfortable with posting them, it would be great to see your system!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago

murphyslaw1978 wrote:

T Cobe wrote: Yeah, given how many folks follow Emotiva on the forums, you'd think there would be review after review from the online mags. Even some of the Gen2 models weren't tested the way I would have hoped. The XPR-1 and XPA-2 models, along with some of the UPA lines were, but given how long they have been out in the marketplace, I still would have expected more testing (XPA-5 and 7 for example).

I'll have to try to ask some of the AVS moderators and writers to test out the Gen3s and put them on the bench. There are new Monoprice amps building these ATI-like monster 7-channel amps (Monolith) for $1500, which is a great deal. That amp has been already reviewed and tested (it seemed to perform well and sound good). So Emotiva, in my opinion, could only have a leg up on Monoprice if it chooses to create power well above the 200w range. Otherwise, and until folks review them, the Monoprice looks like it could be a better deal.

murphyslaw1978,

I'm also interested to hear more about the ATI based amps from Monoprice. Due to the length of my cable runs, I need to used balanced connections and at this point, the Monoprice gear doesn't have balanced connections. Of course, if their Monolith series sells well, who knows what will be next.

I'm also looking forward to the higher powered double wide modules that the Emotiva Gen3 amps are developing. They are supposed to be developing differential and balanced monoblock amps with the new Gen3 architecture as well. Those may be tempting depending on what they do with them. Like you, I've been craving a little more power.

It seems these are good times for affordable amps. More competition can only be a good thing. I look forward to what the next couple of years brings.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 1 month ago
T Cobe,

Just got off the phone with the only GE dealer in KC area, the parts are in but the repair guy is swamped. It was damaged the same as the first Triton on the same event. I picked up the 2+s the same time as I dropped off the damaged 2nd Triton, so I can be a little patient. A little break-in time with just the 2+s. The Triton One should be repaired this week-end or early next week.

Yes, the Crown is out of the system now that the 4 channel Gen3 is in. Soon, the 2+s will be moved to the surrounds, and the DCM TF600s to the rear until I get the urge to replace them with GE 5s. No pictures since the repaired Triton One is on vacation and hovering over the RF 2+, waiting to get back to work. :)

Current project is to get up to speed with Vinyl rips using my PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter. This is in preparation for my next project, to finish a music server, which was derailed before this upgrade and to two PCs that died.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago
Hello T Cobe,
Well I made a decision to buy a used Adcom GFA 7605 5 channel for a good price on eBay. I'm going connect it to my Marantz SR5008 when I get back from Vegas. I will give you guys and update on how is sounds. I believe this Amp should give a nice boast to the T-3 and the Sat 50's. Now I'm looking to buy 5 RCA analog Interconnects. What do you recommend?
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Moderator. info_outline
Jose,

Congrats on the pending amp! I've never heard Adcom in person but I've read good things. I hope it works out well.

Regarding analog interconnects, I'd go to your local dealer and listen to as many options as they have. The premium Monoprice RCAs are decent and sound just as good as the entry level AudioQuest cables for far less money. Moving up the line in AudioQuest may be beneficial but I've not auditioned their more costly options. Blue Jeans Cables makes pretty good RCAs as well for very reasonable prices. My personal preference thus far has been Nordost. Your local dealer hold let you take a few offerings home as well to see how they match up. They frequently have a large number of cables lying around.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Tsgt2007

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Tsgt2007. info_outline

Hello T Cobe,
I finally received the Adcom GFA 7605 5 channel amplifier on Thursday and I received the Audioquest red rivers analog interconnects which is still breaking in. I have to say this amplifier sounds fantastic! I was in shock !! The Trition3's and Super Sat 50's came to life. Especially the center channel speaker. The sound is not to bright like my old adcom amplifier. It seems like all the speakers sound so precise and the bass is strong and tight on the Trition 3's The Marantz SR5008 receiver doesn't have any justice with such a small power supply compared to this ampilifer. This amp list is built like a tank! I took a chance buying it on EBay but for what I paid for this ampilifer,I was truly blessed!! I'm happy with this step up. I really didn't want to buy a new more powerful receiver. Now I'm much happier! Thank you T Cobe and everyone else for your input. As always you guys are the BEST!
Jose
Jose
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series External Amp?