file SuperSub XXL

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
The GET subs sound way different than any ported design I have ever heard. They seem to have much more in common with sealed designs. In either case, they are some of the most musical and tonally accurate subs I have experienced.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
I've only heard one, of the GET subs and it was setup poorly. They had it inside a TV cabinet. While I'm sure some people will use these "lifestyle" sized subs that way, it obviously wasn't a fair demo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, imahawki

I would guess that your head is spinning right now.

Rick, I would say the best the advice you've gotten is LISTEN,, and don't worry as much about published spec's and woofer speaker sizes.

All I can tell you is that I can walk from front to back, side to side in my listening area, and the GEt speakers are flawless in the transitions from one to another. I literally can't tell where one speaker's contribution ends, and others begin. I would not give that up for ANYTHING!

If all you need is louder BOOMS for action movies, then I guess anything goes, but if you also want INTEGRATED sound, from action movies to music movies to surround music (yes, I love GEt surround music), then please listen to your sub options in concert with the T1's you already have.

I've seen too many posts on this forum from folks who talk about the difficulties integrating other type subs or speakers into their GEt based systems (lack of musicality , tonal differences. etc.)

Sorry, I'm not a preachy person, but I REALLY want you to find a sub that works FOR YOU, in YOUR SYSTEM!

Keep at it it! It's worth it! You'll be listening to the speakers you choose for a long time.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
No worries, I appreciate the feedback. I've been in this hobby a long time so I wouldn't say my head is spinning. PR designs are new to me though. I've owned several subs both sealed and ported, some good, some bad. At one point I had a quad 15" infinite baffle sub. I agree its bad practice to ever say design ABC is better than design XYZ. There are tight, musical ported subs and boomy sealed subs. There are musical class D amps and poorly implemented class A or SET amps. Etc. etc. Implementation / execution of the design is what matters.

I wouldn't call the CEA test invalid. I would just say it doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hi Imahawki,
I agree totally it is all in the implementation of whichever technology is being used.
And I agree totally that tests should be standardized so it is all apples and apples.
And Moderator Dude, I agree totally that a LOT about those tests does not tell the whole story. But IF there is any point in reporting frequency response, for example, then report the low end as -3dB as is agreed practice, or not at all. IF amps report WPC, then report the total harmonic distortion at so many ohms RMS all channels driven.
Measurements are only what they are, and should be used (or not) as a rough guide. But playing with how the numbers are reported does not serve for better understanding.
We all have read of Brand X receiver with 7 channels amplification having 1000 watts!!!! When it really has 50 wpc if reported correctly.
I am not interested in getting into an argument over testing or specifications.
Just trying to bring a little balance to the issue.
Happy Listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rickavmaniac's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
rickavmaniac Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I am wondering if 2 x ForceField 5 would be better than 1 x SuperSub XXL?

In my room I can place 2 sub no problem. The budget for those options is the same.

So what should I do?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSub Series SuperSub XXL