file SuperSub XXL

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
T. Cobe is exactly right about GEt being a class act and WAY out there for customer support!!!!!!
Moderator Dude,
I want, I need a XXL sub bad, if you could get them to put a balanced input on it, I would trade in my FF5 in a heartbeat.
Guess I am dreaming.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rickavmaniac's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
rickavmaniac Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hi,

I was wondering what is the difference with a quality sub like the SuperSub XXL and the more larger cabinet like a HSU or SVS?

I love my Triton 1 integrated sub but I would love to have more deep bass in my room. The SuperSub XXL is on my short list but everywhere I read online talk about bigger sub with bigger 15 inch driver.

Whats the difference I will hear (or not)? Any help on this will be appreciated.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Rick,

A recent review indicated the SSXXL was good all the way to 20 Hz. That is the limit of human hearing. You may certainly feel bass below 20 Hz but you won't hear it and I don't believe there is a lot of sub 20 Hz content in most movies.

You can certainly find larger subs that play strong below 20 Hz, but there are trade-offs. Besides larger drivers, you also require larger internal volume in the sub cabinets. Most of these subs are vented and may not be as musical as the SSXXL. Subs that can do it all and put out measurable bass down to the 10-15 Hz range tend to be very expensive.

IMO, GET has struck a pretty good balance covering all the bases for most users. It is very musical. It has solid output all the way down to the limits of human hearing. It has a compact form factor that should blend well in most environments. Based on the facts above and the technical specifications, it seems to be a good value when compared to other comparable brands. There are always compromises and some features missing that may have been nice would have been balanced (XLR) connections and some type of onboard bass correction capabilities. All of these features, though nice, aren't needed and would raise the price even further.

Anyways, enough talk... As always, it's better to listen. Go out an audition the SSXXL at your local GET dealer and compare it to a few other options. See if it hits the sweet spot for you. My guess is that it will blend very nicely with the T1s and fill in a little at the bottom end that the T1s may be missing for home theater. Hopefully some of our forum members will report back after a first hand audition.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, rickavmaniac

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: Rick,

A recent review indicated the SSXXL was good all the way to 20 Hz. That is the limit of human hearing. You may certainly feel bass below 20 Hz but you won't hear it and I don't believe there is a lot of sub 20 Hz content in most movies.

You can certainly find larger subs that play strong below 20 Hz, but there are trade-offs. Besides larger drivers, you also require larger internal volume in the sub cabinets. Most of these subs are vented and may not be as musical as the SSXXL. Subs that can do it all and put out measurable bass down to the 10-15 Hz range tend to be very expensive.

IMO, GET has struck a pretty good balance covering all the bases for most users. It is very musical. It has solid output all the way down to the limits of human hearing. It has a compact form factor that should blend well in most environments. Based on the facts above and the technical specifications, it seems to be a good value when compared to other comparable brands. There are always compromises and some features missing that may have been nice would have been balanced (XLR) connections and some type of onboard bass correction capabilities. All of these features, though nice, aren't needed and would raise the price even further.

Anyways, enough talk... As always, it's better to listen. Go out an audition the SSXXL at your local GET dealer and compare it to a few other options. See if it hits the sweet spot for you. My guess is that it will blend very nicely with the T1s and fill in a little at the bottom end that the T1s may be missing for home theater. Hopefully some of our forum members will report back after a first hand audition.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Great advice, T Cobe!

I have not heard the SSXXL, but given that you have T1's already, matching the tonality and musicality of those superb speakers in a sub is IMHO critical. Given how perfectly the whole family of GEt speakers play together so tonally perfectly, I would guess that the SSXXL will also fit in perfectly with T1's and other GEt speakers.

AS T Cobe said. audition other subs as well, but my recommendation is to pair whatever you listen to to GEt speakers, since that is what you will have for pairings at home when you install a new sub.

I have always been amazed at how perfectly GEt speakers play together. Maybe I am biased by now, but I have a hard time imagining wanting to introduce another speaker type/tonality to my gorgeous collection of GEt speakers.

Good luck with your auditions! We'll all be awaiting your feedback on what you hear!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rickavmaniac, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Bear in mind that a box with passive radiators behaves more like a ported box or transmission line. So don't be fooled that they're inherently better. If you buy into sealed subs being tighter (I don't, personally, overall execution of a design is what matters, not the design itself), the GET subs are not technically sealed. What others have said is true though, you're usually going to get into a size trade off if you want to go a lot lower or louder. I'd like to see an independent measurement of how low and loud the GET subs go using a standard method such as CEA-2010 measurements.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
We don't believe the CEA test is valid in any way, and Sandy abhors decisions being made based on specs or design type because they always lead to the wrong decision. Passive radiator designs combine the strengths of ported and sealed designs, Sandy and his team have a 40 year history of passive radiator design and engineering, the most combined experience and knowledge on this topic of anyone ever. Trust your ears, ignore the rest as they will lead you down a path of poor choices.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSub Series SuperSub XXL