file 60c vs XXL

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Another great and lively discussion here gents, very interesting.
As the old man here, I wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but I can't.
Up-grade-itis hits us all, and can be resisted, but that still does not mean it won't come back!!!!
I do TOTALLY agree with being happy with what you have!!!!! We are all blessed FAR MORE than most people in this world, and from what I know of most of your systems, we are blessed more than MOST audiophiles!!!! Yes, I am prejudiced, so take it for what it is worth.
My system is Totally worthy, REALLY great, and therefore I am so very satisfied and happy with it! And being a little more "early adapter" or early adopter compared to a LOT of you guys, I have not even gotten to hear the Triton Ones, the T5s, nor the SC XXL or Sub XXL.
I just have go say "STOP" to myself right here. I am happy and I am good!!!!
YES there are better GEt speakers out here, some of you have got them, but I am happy. Do you notice how I keep telling myself that????
1. I find that most of us have to be happy with our systems for a while and save money up before we can start to get that old "itis" going again.
2. When I get to this point, I start looking more at software, looking more into music and movies, spending much smaller amounts of money there is really satisfying since M & M is what it is all about anyway.
I hope this helps,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Great comments guys I love it.

As I said I will report back once I was running the HAPZ1 Sony. I must say it has transformed the speakers in a big way. High def music running through these speakers sounds fantastic!

I tried with Pure direct and it is a big improvement compared to the apple TV. I still prefer my settings and EQ which I will post here again shortly but Pure direct has for sure improved. I know for sure now that if anything is holding it back its the way Yamaha runs the pure direct (at least in my system)

Keep in mind no matter what I listen to (car stereo, ipod, old beatbox when I was 9) I have always increased the bass levels and treble levels on anything i was listening to so it might be my preferred method of listening. However I did listen to the Krell S300i on B&W speakers last weekend and there were no EQ settings and the songs sounded great so it still must a Yamaha limitation or the room or my hearing. I also heard the Hegel (not sure of the model) preamp with the triton one sin my dealer and it sounded fantastic. When upgraditis bites again I might consider a p20 Hegel preamplifier or go nuts on a Classe cp 800ii and keep the Yamaha for movies on HT bypass. However the sound I am getting now with my settings I could live happily for decades to come at least :))

However where Pure direct to me used to sound say 2/10 and really hollow when running on the old cables off apple tv with the new cable and the better source it is probably a 7 or 8 compared to my Eqed settings which I would rate 9 or 10 out of 10 depending on the music.

I must say I listened to Thriller yesterday in 24 bit 192 sound. Thriller was probably one of my least favorite Jackson albums (compared to Bad, Dangerous and HIStory disc 2 even) and frankly I have never heard it sound so good. I was into the music and I listened to the album from front to back which I haven't done since I would have been 12 and enjoyed every second of it. I had so many "Wow" moments and the sound was simply awesome.

A Lot of people argue that humans cant hear the difference between 16bit 44khz compared to 24bit 192 and I didn't have a 16bit album to compare it to but I have to say that that was one of the most enjoyable listening experiences in my life with these speakers and source.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 1 month ago
"We are all blessed FAR MORE than most people in this world, and from what I know of most of your systems, we are blessed more than MOST audiophiles!!!"

Very very True! :)
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Steveo mate,
So very glad to hear that you are getting the sweet sounds!!!!!
Seriously we have been looking at your system for some improvement now for quite a while, and you finally got there.
Happy listening, and yes, in the future there will still be areas you can improve your system more.
But it sounds like you are getting pretty close now.
Happy Listening, and yes, be grateful.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, aribraun

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Thank you everyone!! I am very blessed, in many ways. This hobby is just 1 of them. Upgradeitis is a real disease:)
Actually I would be reducing power if I add XPA-1's they are 600w(8 Ohms) vs.. the XPA-2 bridged 1000w, but I digress. I was rationalizing the expense as the price will jump 20% in August, My long term plan was to have 2 XPA-1's and a 1L for the center. I am very happy with the system as it is. I probably need to spend the money on a processor. So I am going to delay the XPA-1 purchase.

Steveo, very pleased to hear your upgrades have helped so much.

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, aribraun

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey DT, well said.
If you are going for a processor, I can recommend the Emotiva XMC-1. It is not the best for sure, but for the money it is playing with the big boys for 1/4 the price. DIRAC itself is almost worth the price and you get a good, competent, clean sounding processor thrown in.
I can heartily recommend a pre-processor with separate amps. That gives the most flexibility and best sound and from there, then when the upgrade bug bites, you can do it in pieces, important pieces.
Just some thoughts, anyway, glad to see so many guys here aware of how blessed we are.
Have fun, happy listening, God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back