file New Triton Reference Speakers

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 6 years 6 months ago

stereo5 wrote: .... With each new record, they played that and then all the other tunes, the same way, etc. Is that the same with the Dead? ........

Nope!

This is one aspect that for me really keeps it interesting. The Grateful Dead have played approximately 490 unique songs. Of that, approximately half are their own (officially credited to one or more band members as the author) and the other half are covers of other artists. Regardless of whether or not they are playing a song of their own or a cover, it is never the same. Nor is the sequence within the show. By sequence I mean the order of songs.

As an extreme example of how their songs differ (largely), consider the song "Lovelight". This song (a cover) was among the first in the bands repertoire in the 60's. It was sung by Ron "Pigpen" McKernan. He died in 1973, but the song remained part of the setlist through the 90's, sung by Bob Weir. Other examples can be demonstrated by the fact that Donna Jean Godchaux was their only female vocalist. She was with the band from 72 - 79, and sang backup vocals on numerous songs. The overwhelming majority of those songs have been played before or after her tenure. So, just from a vocal perspective, the songs differ, While the melody is the same and certainly recognizable, Jerry's guitar licks are also unique, per occurrence.

Dead heads such as myself recognize and appreciate the difference between the same song played on a different date so much so, that even the difference between the type of recording of the exact same song and date makes a difference.

Also, I've heard many interviews from GD band members and I recall Jerry stating on more than one occasion that it's different every night, and this is one aspect of the music that kept the band together.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, stereo5, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 6 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
I enjoy everyone's interest in the Grateful Dead. I also enjoy the forum, as I know I'm among Phriends.

I'd like to offer the gift of music. This tasty nugget is the Grateful Dead - April 8, 1982 , Onondaga Auditorium - Syracuse, NY, SBD -> Cassette Master -> Reel -> Dat (48k), Transfer Info: Dat (Sony R500) -> Sound Devices 744T -> Samplitude Professional v11.03 -> FLAC (but I have decompressed to WAV for your convenience) From a digital perspective this is low rez (16 bit)

The track is a bit over 8 minutes long. Tip: If you have the volume cranked, be ready to jump out out of your seat. Suggested SPL is peak at 90db, and adjust to taste from there.

There is nothing in particular about this track versus the other 25,000 or so I have, other than I noted my log file "incredible bass drums track. played through Triton Reference (8/3/17) and the frequency must have been lower than 20Hz"

Enjoy: (please download within 7 days and only once so others can grab this too as there is a limitation on the number of downloads)

myaccount.dropsend.com/file/626065f9c9bf0f9d
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch, fbreynolds, HTSME

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 6 months ago
Steveo,

Are you using the free version of fidelizer, or did you purchase one of the two offered versions - if so, which one?

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Steveo's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 6 years 6 months ago
Thanks for the download GDHAL! I will check it out when I have my system hooked up again as we are currently painting and getting new carpet so I have been out of action for a few weeks.

Arthur
I dont have Fidelizer as I bought his Nimitra server instead which basically has all of his tweaks (that Fidelizer does to windows) plus more all in the one package. I have heard the paid version is incredible though and worth the entry fee.

The nimitra is excellent an I have no need to look for another server for my digital. I sold a Sony digital player (HAPZ1) that retailed for twice the cost to upgrade to this. I A/b tested it and it was night and day. The fact you can use whatever app to control it as well was a big bonus too.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 6 years 6 months ago
I appreciate all of you guys because it is always about the sound whether it's getting the most out of the Grateful Dead or a Rachmaninoff piano concerto! So when you share your thoughts, I know it is based on your enjoyment of music. I'm a 65 year old newbie who decided he wanted a great atmos system and ended up with that and more. So why not get the best sound I can from my References?

I may have an opportunity to get a demo Bel Canto Ref600M. I'm not sure what the discount would be but it would have a full factory warranty. I can return it if I don't like it. Any reason to go with a new unit over this?

(btw, thanks GDHAL - is that for Grateful Deadhead Al? - for the download.)

fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• Steveo's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 6 years 6 months ago

fbreynolds wrote: I appreciate all of you guys because it is always about the sound whether it's getting the most out of the Grateful Dead or a Rachmaninoff piano concerto! So when you share your thoughts, I know it is based on your enjoyment of music. I'm a 65 year old newbie who decided he wanted a great atmos system and ended up with that and more. So why not get the best sound I can from my References?

I may have an opportunity to get a demo Bel Canto Ref600M. I'm not sure what the discount would be but it would have a full factory warranty. I can return it if I don't like it. Any reason to go with a new unit over this?

(btw, thanks GDHAL - is that for Grateful Deadhead Al? - for the download.)

fred

I am a big believer in audio (like with cars) that buying second hand can be very advantageous, provided the gear has been treated well.

I bought my Bel cantos for almost half the price off RRP and they were about a year old and barely used. In other words a steal for their performance. Audio can depreciate so if you can find a used or demo one with warranty, its a good option especially because it has already been broken in so you can hear what the end product should sound like. The Bel Cantos have a very long break in as far as I could tell. The even got better with time with me since they were barely used.

The money I have saved buying second hand has enabled me to get a far better system than I otherwise could have. In saying that I bought my Goldener speakers brand new, as speaker in my mind were different. Goldenears punch well above their price point anyway so all is good. Plus I wanted the T1s and I was one of the first people in Australia to have one as I got them brand new off the first shipment to Sydney ;) They are still going strong today and better than ever with good components I added to it over time.

I cant stress enough how much these speakers utilise better equipment and benefit by better gear. Everything matters too. Cables, amps, preamps DSP, all to varying degrees. Speakers being the most important

I had very basic equipment originally and my speakers were way too good for the gear I had, but it was a good first step as it gave me a glimpse of what was to come. It sounds like a joke now but to give you an idea I started with the goldenears and I was using them through a mid range Yamaha receiver with an apple tv playing mp3s for music!! The reason for this is I bought these speakers for home theatre that could also play music. I would have expected I would be using them 80% for home theatre and 20% for music and I didn't have any of my music on FLAC or WAV. The Yamaha is still great for movies (but need 4k) but I took music duties in a separate preamp stage and ripped all my cds to uncompressed FLAC. Since the speakers are so good I became so much more immersed in music I probably listen to music now 90% of the time and its my favourite hobby over any other activity like gaming etc.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers