file ATMOS, DTS:X encoded audio: what's playing?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Maybe a new thread? Moderator Dude, what do you think?

I just finished watching my third ATMOS encoded DVD, "San Andreas"

I've now watched 3 ATMOS DVD's,and I can say that the mixing process is still evolving. The use of height channels sometimes seems like an afterthought, and at other times, REALLY adds to the audio effect.

There are are intervals where NO sound comes from the height channels (you'd think they'd blend in a little to maintain the sense of a height envelope), and other times where the effect is quite dramatic

In San Andreas,, when the height channel is used (helicopters flying overhead, tall buildings starting to crash, Hoover Dam falling apart), it REALLY adds to the effect of being there in the scene! Wow! A helicopter just flew right over my head! Wow! That falling building went right by me!

I'm still waiting for DTS:X firmware to be available on my receiver, and for more broadcasting formats to support height formats (backward integration to other DTS formatted audio, NETFLIX, maybe even tv broadcasts), but I can say at this point that I can see the potential. In fact, in ATMOS DVD's, when the height channel goes silent, the audio seems more 2D, less immersive. It's like switching from 3D to 2D video mid stream. I think where height channel encoding is used, it ought to part of the entire recording, at varying levels, depending on the action in the scenes.

I would love any/all feedback on what other folks have experienced delving into ATMOS or other height formats, and what speaker/future height product desires or issues they have.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I (re) watched the ATMOS version of the "Gravity" Blu-ray last night. The sense of floating in, being surrounded by, space is definitely enhanced with the addition of the height effect.

At this point I don't know how much I'm may, or may not, be missing with the basic 5.2.2 set-up (top middles are the only height channels). At some point I'll make a decision about whether to add front or front wide height channels, but it is a new experience hearing a sound bubble that presents a sound field that includes objects moving around above me.

Maybe the next generation of ATMOS will add floor level speakers/sound??? Hearing the sound bubble reminds me that in the real world, the sound field emanates from all levels (footsteps from the ground, leaves rustling in the trees above, city sounds echoing off tall buildings).

Any great ATMOS Blu-rays I may be missing out on?

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I finally got to play "Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation" in DOLBY ATMOS sound format. T. Cobe has described how exciting the movie is on the Blu-ray thread, so I'll address the ATMOS component on this thread. I watched part of this in DOLBY surround before sorting out some issues and replaying the whole thing in ATMOS.

First, the soundtrack is first rate in either format: action scenes just make you grip your seat. I didn't feel as though I was missing anything in surround mode. BUT when I switched to ATMOS, some scenes just got that much more immersive. Maybe enveloping is the word. When the helicopters are flying right over your left shoulder, from behind, the immediacy of the sound just grabs you. Or when the parachuters go WHOOSH right over your head, it's the same effect. Especially when they approach from behind and you hear the sound before you see the sight on the screen. I almost wanted to duck.

I felt that the sound mixing for height was much better in this film. It didn't seem as though an occasional height sound was added just for the heck of it...I didn't try to keep track of what was coming from the height speakers vs. the others. It all just blended together.

Note on volume: I was getting on average 91 db peaks in most action scenes with upper 70's db's for dialogue, and it sounded better than anything comparable I've heard in a movie theater. (I have not seen/heard this movie in IMAX, so can't comment on that.)

Note to Anthem: I probably got a peak of 92 db in the motorcycle scene, and loved it there. Just couldn't make my ears go for any louder than that.

This is one great action flic, in either DOLBY or surround. Thanks for the recommendation, T. Cobe!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• mwmed's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 25
mwmed Posted 8 years 3 months ago
John wick, Unforgiven, are great Atmos titles, as far as DTS X there are only 2 or 3 titles out. Crimson Peak is just a movie I could not watch, the sound was OK nothing special, hopefully more software to follow.
Triton 5 R and L mains Parasound A 21 Amplifier
SUPERSAT 60C center (no room for super centers) Parasound A 52 Five Channel Power Amplifier
SUPERSAT 50C sides
SUPERSAT 3C rears
INVISA 650 4 in ceiling 2 Parasound Model 275 v.2
JL Audio Fathom 113 sub
Marantz 8802,Oppo 95 blu ray, Sony 70"
XPA
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 3 months ago

mwmed wrote: John wick, Unforgiven, are great Atmos titles, as far as DTS X there are only 2 or 3 titles out. Crimson Peak is just a movie I could not watch, the sound was OK nothing special, hopefully more software to follow.

Hi, mwmed

Thanks!

I just read an update that says that Marantz is now rolling out DTS;X firmware for it's DTS:X ready products. It's available now(as of mid Feb) for the AV8802A, will be available for the SR 7010 and 6010 on March 3rd. Other manufacturer's roll-out schedule wasn't listed in the article.

A feature of DTS:X will be NEURAL:X, which has the capability to remap older audio formats to include height channels. I'm planning on trying it out in early March after the update, and see what it does with my non-ATMOS Blu-rays. I'll post my impressions here.

Please keep us posted on ATMOS/DTS:X titles that impress you. I'm finding that the sound mixing is getting better and better, with "Mission Impossible, Rogue Nation" being the best I've heard so far.

Happy listening!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

• Jarery's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 25
Jarery Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Atmos titles I like are Mad Max, Everest, Goosebumps, Sicario, Mission Impossible, American Sniper, Remastered Fifth Element, and
Man from Uncle. The majority of them don't actually have great soundtracks or use of height.

Everest sounds great when the storm comes in. Beginning of Transformers Age of Extinction is good. Fifth Element is probably one I like the most, and Goosebumps.

I have a Denon 6200 which now has DTS:X for movies encoded with it and Neural X for an upmixer. The Neural X is awesome, makes any movie sound more encompassing and immersive. Only DTS:X movies I have are Witch Hunter which blows, and American Ultra which is good.

Will take time for mixing studios to gain the skill, and to increase budgets to utilize the height channels well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming ATMOS, DTS:X encoded audio: what's playing?