file ATMOS, DTS:X encoded audio: what's playing?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 2 months ago

Jarery wrote: Atmos titles I like are Mad Max, Everest, Goosebumps, Sicario, Mission Impossible, American Sniper, Remastered Fifth Element, and
Man from Uncle. The majority of them don't actually have great soundtracks or use of height.

Everest sounds great when the storm comes in. Beginning of Transformers Age of Extinction is good. Fifth Element is probably one I like the most, and Goosebumps.

I have a Denon 6200 which now has DTS:X for movies encoded with it and Neural X for an upmixer. The Neural X is awesome, makes any movie sound more encompassing and immersive. Only DTS:X movies I have are Witch Hunter which blows, and American Ultra which is good.

Will take time for mixing studios to gain the skill, and to increase budgets to utilize the height channels well.

Thanks, Jarery, and welcome!

I just ordered "Everest" (3D version). Thanks for the list of ATMOS titles you like! I hope to also have the DTS:X, NEURAL:X firmware by early March.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Just a short note: I've watched two ATMOS Blu-rays in the last several days, "Everest" in 3D, and "Mad Max Fury Road" in 2D.

T Cobe, imahawki have very well described Mad Max SQ and PQ on the Blu-ray thread, and they are absolutely right, everything is off the wall amazing. What does ATMOS add? I'd say the SQ is fantastic with and without ATMOS, but the height effect is very noticeable, especially in the canyon scenes. IMHO ATMOS adds to an already fantastic sound mixing effect.These folks are pro's.

Re Everest, Jarery is right that in the storm scene, the height channel effect is real: you really feel as though the wind and sleet are hitting all around you, including whatever is above (the sound of the sleet hitting something above, probably rock, just makes you feel as though you are IN the storm).

Good stuff. We had a power outage here a couple days ago, which knocked out TIVO,and the router's connection to the AVR. I'm replacing the router tomorrow, and if I still can't get an internet connection, I'll have to do a full factory reset to see if that resets the AVR's internet card. I believe DTS:X is now available for my AVR. SO, no news on DTS:X until I get the connection issue resolved.

Happy watching and listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Ah, the joys and limitations of electronics. We had a power outage here the other day... someone ran into a transformer (maybe a power surge came with it, though I've got almost everything on surge protectors), and I've been busy ever since. Lost the TIVO DVR, my router gave up the ghost, and my Marantz SR7010 lost internet connection.

New TIVO DVR (no direct interaction expected), new router later, still no Marantz internet connection to download the now available DTS:X firmware. Factory reset doesn't do it. Direct ethernet connection doesn't do it. Apparently the Marantz internet card got fried somewhere.

SO, no DTS:X reports for awhile, until I sort out what needs fixing and can download the update. If the Marantz needs to go back to the factory, I'll wait until I leave for the summer before sending it back. I'm not willing to give up all my other beautiful sounds in the meantime.

To be continued.... I'll still report on ATMOS Blu-rays I try...

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Well, I just installed a Marantz SR7010, and 4 ceiling speakers to complete my 7.1.4 setup. I've listened to the Atmos Demo Disk (pretty cool), and watched a few snippets of movies using DTS:X as well as Atmos:

DTS:X - The Last Witch Hunter
DTS:X - The Big Short
Atmos - Minions
Atmos - Roger Waters - The Wall
Atmos - The Fifth Element (Remastered)
Atmos - Gravity
Atmos - Mad Max Fury Road
Atmos - Mission Impossible V - Rogue Nation

Certainly, like a lot of movies, how good it sounds depends on the mastering process. But I have been impressed so far with the best of examples.

The Big Short and Mad Max are my favorite examples though, because they are actually really good movies, which is really most important to me when it comes to a demo of my system. I like the technology, but I care most about the content.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

murphyslaw1978 wrote: Well, I just installed a Marantz SR7010, and 4 ceiling speakers to complete my 7.1.4 setup. I've listened to the Atmos Demo Disk (pretty cool), and watched a few snippets of movies using DTS:X as well as Atmos:

Atmos - Minions
Atmos - Gravity

Certainly, like a lot of movies, how good it sounds depends on the mastering process. But I have been impressed so far with the best of examples.

The Big Short and Mad Max are my favorite examples though, because they are actually really good movies, which is really most important to me when it comes to a demo of my system. I like the technology, but I care most about the content.

Great review, Murhpyslaw1978!

I got "The Big short" yesterday, and am planning on watching it tonight. Unfortunately, I can't watch anything in DTS:X until I get my SR 7010 receiver's net card fixed so it can download the firmware (some kind of strange power surge from a transformer being taken out).

What's your impression of the SR 7010 so far? I've felt from the beginning that the Marantz SR 7010 was a SQ and amp upgrade from the NAD T757 it replaced.

Happy listening!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 2 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote:

murphyslaw1978 wrote: Well, I just installed a Marantz SR7010, and 4 ceiling speakers to complete my 7.1.4 setup. I've listened to the Atmos Demo Disk (pretty cool), and watched a few snippets of movies using DTS:X as well as Atmos:

Atmos - Minions
Atmos - Gravity

Great review, Murhpyslaw1978!

I got "The Big short" yesterday, and am planning on watching it tonight. Unfortunately, I can't watch anything in DTS:X until I get my SR 7010 receiver's net card fixed so it can download the firmware (some kind of strange power surge from a transformer being taken out).

What's your impression of the SR 7010 so far? I've felt from the beginning that the Marantz SR 7010 was a SQ and amp upgrade from the NAD T757 it replaced.

Happy listening!

Rick

Thanks Rick! The Marantz SR7010 is quite good indeed. I cannot tell that it's any better or worse yet from my older Harman Kardon AVR630, mainly because I haven't yet fully calibrated my system yet. But the audio and video are both clear as day and I have no complaints so far.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming ATMOS, DTS:X encoded audio: what's playing?