• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hey, Pbgalvin

I'm thinking along the same lines as Anthem. If the Peachtree (good amp!) has served you well on everything else you've played, I'd suspect a flawed recording (even on well recorded stuff, sometimes one slips through that got damaged somehow). I've tossed "great" recordings before that for whatever reason didn't deliver. Sometimes stuff happens on individual recordings. As you say, Sandy's recommendations are top drawer, but that doesn't mean every single disc got recorded properly. I'd think about trying a replacement disc before thinking about needing to replace great equipment.

You're on the right track asking if others have had problems with this recording. But if others haven't, I really like the OPPO 105d and Peachtree combo you tried it on. Hard to believe that combo could so "flub" a recording. I'd be more tempted to look for possible flaws in the recording..

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 11 months ago

Spyro Gyro / Down the Wire (2009) -- A Distant Memory

Great response, as always, Rick. I really value your thoughts and suggestions.

Pbglavin: after the debate tonight, why don't you bring over your Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio disc, and we'll toss her on the Torii and take her for a spin.
I tracked some of the disc on YouTube and really liked what I heard.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hey Rick, yes good thoughts. Time to find other "reference" recordings of piano and hear what they sound like...
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hey Anthem I don't think we're in the same neighborhood - I'm between Boston and Providence.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 11 months ago

Joshua Redman / Beyond (2000) -- Leap of Faith

This song starts out a little rough around the edges, but as the mood and song progresses, things just get gooder and gooder...is that a word? (Is today) it ends the way it started.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Pbgalvin wrote: Hey folks, would love feedback from anyone that has Misty by Yamamoto Tsuyoshi Trio (on Sandy's demo list).
I got the SACD and it's painful to listen to - now I know what people mean when they talk about etched or brittle high notes - the high notes on the piano are sharp, etc.
I tried via the oppo 105D, and also ripping the cd to my mac mini
Integrated amp is Peachtree Nova 220SE, T1s, Acoustic Zen Hologram II speaker cables.

Had the same sound problems both from Oppo and ripped playback, so I think the problem is the Peachtree.

So, anyone else have this disc, and if so how do the high notes sound to you?

(Considering getting a separate amp to solve this kind of problem, maybe the Rogue Audio Medusa)...

Thanks!

Btw currently listening to my 1st and only so far blu-ray audio disc - Beethoven 9 symphonies (on 1 disc!), Karajan, Berliner Philhamoniker - sounds terrific, luscious, full, so far.

Hey again, Pbgalvin

Just for the heck of it, I found Misty by the Yamamoto Tsuyoshi Trio on DEEZER, and streamed it to my HT system in FLAC format (so it wasn't the SACD version). There was a background static throughout, and the piano was NOT smooth sounding, kind of edgey. My Marantz, NAD amp and GEt's didn't much like it either. The other songs on the album seemed fine.

So, I have no idea how many recorded versions of this song by this artist there are. Obviously, somehwere there is a version that Sandy likes a lot. The version I heard wasn't one that I'd write home about either.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back