file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Thanks, Wayne. It's was definitely a worthwhile purchase and I will look for more surround music/SACDs. I've added Rhapsodies to my wish list and will check it out. Thanks for the reference. Have you found any Bach recordings in surround that are noteworthy?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Roman Johnston wrote:

And a few from last weekend.

I love the music, and especially the pic's, Roman! Where is the location? It must be something special. I just wanted to get on the other side of that lens and experience what you captured so well. Another great job!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 8 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote:

Roman Johnston wrote:

And a few from last weekend.

I love the music, and especially the pic's, Roman! Where is the location? It must be something special. I just wanted to get on the other side of that lens and experience what you captured so well. Another great job!

Rick

Thanks Rick! It is Seal Rock beach in Oregon. The entire coastline is amazing and reveal wonderful details when the tide is out. Being there in the morning is very special. It is like I am in a primal tub of creative energy....like seeing the world in it's infancy.

Roman
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Hey Bro T Cobe
I like the way you are thinking!!! Bach is awesome.
The short answer is NO.
I too really want some great Bach in surround sound. So I ordered and got this blu-ray, St. Matthew's Passion with the boy's choir.
It is DTS-HD MA 5.1 and on Amazon they rate it 5 stars. And I have no quibble with it. Lovely music with great PQ and SQ. Problem is, well, it is just not my cuppa tea at all.
Can I say it like this? I am an old rock and roller, trying to learn more about classical music because, frankly MUCH of the new music just does not shake my tree and I get tired of golden oldies all day long. Trying to educate myself. And when I put on the Rhapsodies (I recommended above) for example and listen to the opening bars through all three front speakers I am swept away with the grandeur, I am blown away by the beauty and sweep of the sound/music. *You don't have to really like classical to like it.*
The Bach blu-ray I am mentioning here-you have to like classical music to like this!!!
I try to only recommend music to you guys that fits this category, "You don't have to like classical music to like this".
Is that a clear, helpful way to put it?
Now I am aware that this might not be correct! I don't know as much as I think sometimes, so, I only hope this is correct.
For example, IF someone said on this thread that you don't have to like Jazz to like KOB. Well they would be WAY WRONG. I can't get through more than 2 mins of that music, but respect you all for liking it. So there could easily be many people who would say the same about my "everybody will like it" classical music.
What do I know?????
OK, if you like the Bach 6 Brandenburg Concertos, you can try this SACD by TACET in surround sound. It is pricey and I have not bought it yet. They have some amazing recordings and this might be just what we both want. Let me know if anybody has heard it. Tho I usually prefer blu-ray over audio only.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Thanks, Wayne. I think I'm following what you're saying here. Put another way, good music is good music and just about everyone should be able to appreciate that; however, I think everybody has a style or two of music that they can't tolerate, no matter how good it is. Yours is jazz. For Anthem, it's anything with a banjo... ;)

I've started researching Bach a bit. I'll check out the references you've posted. I've seen more on Amazon that look interesting. I'll have to do some sampling on-line and go from there. I'll post my findings in case anyone else may be interested.

I have a few more tweaks to get may surround channels up to par with my front end, but with the Aons all the way around, I'm enjoying surround music much more. I've just purchased a power cord for my XPA-5 and that will start the process. 2 more power cords to go and then I'll move on to interconnects. I'm sure my interest in surround music will continue to grow through the process.

Well, I'm off to Suicide Squad shortly and then I have to help our Niece move. It's going to be a long day... I hope things are going well in the tropical paradise!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Thanks T Cobe, things are great here in Paradise, rainy season going on. We are keeping our heads above water. And things have slowed down some. Taught the daughter how to make toll-house cookies today.
How are things there? Hope you get the surround system just the way you want it. That is the most important to me.
I keep reading and following what you guys write/report on upgrading your power cords and interconnects. And I really respect you guys' opinions, BUT I just cannot bring myself to believe that power cords will make any improvement in my system. The ones I have already are the size of water hoses, though not expensive, by my standards; and I use a power conditioner, which some report works against the improvement made by expensive power cables.
So, bottom line, I am happy where I am, sitting pat with the cables, indeed, the system I have.
Just can't wait until football season gets underway!!!!
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back