file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by T Cobe. info_outline

From Funk-osity to funkadelic with Herbie Hancock's Headhunters. This jazz-funk album was released in 1973 and has an entirely different feel than a 1950s release. It took a few minutes to get used to the idea of a synthesizer but I enjoyed this album.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, Roman Johnston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On another note, I ordered 2 new versions of Kind of Blue from Music Direct. One is the Mobile Fidelity SACD and the second is a 32-bit HD Sony release. Between the two, we'll see if there is any improvement in the sound quality. I'll report back but it may be a while as the Mobile Fidelity version can take 4-6 weeks to ship. Thanks for the tip, Eiffel62.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago
T Cobe:

So glad you decided to be the forum's "Guinea pig"...
I think I'll put my "Kind of Blue" purchase on hold until we here back from you on which version is best.

Happy listening
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Muriel Anderson -- "Why Worry"

Saw this, this morning, on my Audiophile.online news feed.
She's mighty impressive.
She plays on a Brunner Compact Harp Guitar.
Rick: this one's for you, Baby!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 1 month ago

T Cobe wrote: I'll report back but it may be a while as the Mobile Fidelity version can take 4-6 weeks to ship. Thanks for the tip, Eiffel62.

T Cobe,

I hope the sound is an improvement to what you have now. Easy decision for me to buy, since the last KOB I got was the multi-channel Columbia SACD some 10 years ago. I believe this was one of my first multi-channel SACDs after just getting into hi-rez digital on my last upgrade prior to this one including the Denon DVD-3910. Prior to that, going back 30 years, I have a cassette recording of KOB from a library Vinyl rental, my early college years.

At the Steve Hoffman forum, there are a lot of vinyl enthusiasts, and some say a clean early mono Vinyl is the most superior KOB to get. But good luck getting one for $25-$30. The newer reissue mono vinyls are actually using the same three-track remaster in 1992 by Wildler and Berkowitz as supposedly the original master mono tape is also gone. This according to Michael Fremer from Analog Planet. . So my guess is all remasters and reissues, regardless of format, now are using this same 1992 remaster.

I am fortunate that my purchases from Analogue Production usually arrive the next day, since they are located in Salina, KS and I live in Shawnee, KS, a suburb of Kansas City. AP resells MoFi, like Music Direct, though the latter often has deeper discounts. I just bought the PS Audio P10 powerplant through Music Direct getting the PS Audio 40% discount and no tax, saving ~$350 from PS Audio. And like you, it will be a while before I receive it.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Eiffel62,

I'm actually a 2 hour drive from Music Direct, so anything in stock gets here pretty quickly. unfortunately the Mobile Fidelity KOB isn't in stock and is listed as shipping in 4-6 weeks. I wonder if the produce them in batches once they receive sufficient orders. Due to free shipping, Music Direct may choose to wait to send the 32-bit version until they are able to send both at the same time. Fingers crossed I don't have to wait for both and that one of them is free of the distortion present on my current CD and LP.

In either case, the CD version I have is not as good as the LP, so it will be nice to have a disc with better sound quality. I'll be sure to report back on my findings.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back