file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago
T Cobe

As you know, time goes by, and information gets lost.
18-7 wire...what exactly is it, and what is so special about it.
The closest thing I can find says it's for trailer hookups.

Help in Kansas
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 1 month ago

T Cobe wrote:

By way of Wayne, Art, and Eiffel62 I finally picked up the RCA Victor Living Stereo version of Bolero. Of course, I'm listening in 2-channel this morning. I can see why everyone likes this one. Great recording and performance!

I've never been one for cable "break-in" periods or upgraded power cords but I have to say my mind has been changed on both. Now that my power cords have 100+ hours on them, I have put the 18-7 speaker wire back in place and the harshness is gone. The rock solid imaging, dynamics, and micro detail are back. By comparison, the stranded wire seems to smear the sounds together a bit.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hey, T Cobe

I've not heard Bolero in SACD before. Based on your, Wayne, Art and eiffel62's recommendations, I just ordered it. I'll have to wait until I get back to TX to enjoy it, can't play SACD stuff here in NH.

Another treat that will be waiting for me when I get back!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Wayne and Rick,

It appears I ordered a stereo version of Bolero and not the SACD version... I went back on-line and rectified the issue so I should be receiving the hybrid disc soon. I'll listen in multi-channel when it arrives and report back.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Anthem,

The wire I'm referring to is actually a generic sprinkler wire sold at my local home improvement store. The Nordost speaker cables use fewer, larger strands of wire so I went out to find a low cost, temporary solution. What I found was a wire with 7 strands of 18-gauge wire and I use one for the positive and another for the negative leads. It comes out to about 10-gauge wire from what I've calculated. I purchased 50 feet of the wire for about $25.

The sound is as I described earlier. It more detailed, dynamic, transparent, and more forward sounding with a larger soundstage. A good track to illustrate the effects is Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon. When listening with the 10-gauge Belden wire, her vocals are a bit bloated and there seems to be some added resonance to her vocals above and beyond the natural acoustics of the recording. The 18-7 wire clean them up, bring them forward, and offer additional transparency. The bass may be slightly more tonally rich but that is marginal. One of the most noticeable differences is towards the second half of the song when the shakers and piano come into play. The shakers can get lost/drown out by the piano and violin. With the 18-7 wire, the shakers are continuously present and display more acoustic detail. The transients of the piano are also improved.

All of these are based on my listening impressions with my equipment, in my room. At $25 it is certainly worth experimenting with. The wire is very stiff due to the size of the wire.

On another note, The 32-bit UHD Sony version of KOB has shipped, so it should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll let you know if it's an improvement over my existing copy. I've got my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, Roman Johnston

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Sean Jones / Gemini (2005) -- Gemini

This track has some Smokin Hot bass that will leave you in a Trance like state.
Second play on this cd...Thumbs Up.

T Cobe: Thanks for the 18-7 description.
Also, anticipating your 32 bit UHD Sony review.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

This is one amazing track! I'm actually listening to disk 2 of The Best of Blue Note. Both disks have a number of great songs and I would highly recommend this album to anyone interested in getting their feet wet with Jazz.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back