• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline

anthem wrote: Rodrigo y Gabriela / 9 Dead Alive (2014) -- The Soundmaker

Acoustic rock maestros Rodrigo y Gabriela's new studio album is titled 9 Dead Alive and it is the band's first record of new material in five years. It was recorded and produced by Rod and Gab at their studio in Ixtapa, Mexico. Mixing was handled by Andrew Scheps (Black Sabbath, Adele, Metallica, Lana Del Rey) in Los Angeles.

9 Dead Alive sees Rodrigo y Gabriela playing face to face, guitar versus guitar, bursting with melodic energy and rhythmic invention. Recorded at their Pacific Coast hideaway in late summer, the album captures the warmth and spontaneity of two great musicians locked in together; perfectly distilled into nine new songs teeming with desire, elegance and gusto.

...and I thought I was going to make it through the day without adding to my wish list. I'm guessing Rick is going to like this one as well.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Lee Ritenour Larry Carlton / Larry & Lee (1995) -- Lots About Nothin

A little break in the work schedule, so I thought I'd track Larry and Lee.
Fantastic cd by the way.

T Cobe: A Big Thumbs Up to your empty pockets.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Well, we've got trumpet, tenor Sax, piano, bass, and drums! What else do you need? Well, the Argentinian Malbec is nice too. Great way to unwind after a long day at work!

While Kenny Drew and Hank Mobley are shining, I'm 2 songs in and I think Louis Hayes may be stealing the show on drums. The only one struggling appears to be Sam Jones on bass due to the mic position. Too bad, I love me some BASS!

The Trumpet and sax are shining through the recording with the best SQ. This is a good album and the SQ is solid for the era. RVG remasters seem to be pretty reliable, in my experience thus far. Thanks for the reference, Anthem!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Clifford Brown / Study in Brown (1955) -- George's Dilemma

Clifford Brown/Trumpet
Max Roach /Drums
Harold Land/Tenor Sax
George Morrow/Bass
Richie Powell /Piano

T Cobe: This is great set of tunes that you might be interested in.
I really like this cd...sounds pretty good too.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Besides interest in Jazz, I've been collecting blues as well. Ran across ZZ Top's ‎"The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990" CD collection on Amazon the other day, which has very favorable reviews. This box set arrived last evening and I started with Deguello as that is one of my favorite blues rock albums of all time. I am less familiar with earlier ZZ, so I worked my way backwards finding "El Diablo" on Tejas album. It sounded amazing with Triton 2+ upfront.

With all this upgrade, I bought a ZeroSurge with two outlets a few months ago, but always felt I should protect these electronics a bit more, especially with future music server upgrade coming. Then I saw that PS Audio has discounted the P10 powerplant by 40% so I splurged and ordered one. This was not in my immediate plans, as with the XMC-1, but these price reductions are just too tempting.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Roman Johnston

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

T Cobe wrote:

anthem wrote: Rodrigo y Gabriela / 9 Dead Alive (2014) -- The Soundmaker

Acoustic rock maestros Rodrigo y Gabriela's new studio album is titled 9 Dead Alive and it is the band's first record of new material in five years. It was recorded and produced by Rod and Gab at their studio in Ixtapa, Mexico. Mixing was handled by Andrew Scheps (Black Sabbath, Adele, Metallica, Lana Del Rey) in Los Angeles.

9 Dead Alive sees Rodrigo y Gabriela playing face to face, guitar versus guitar, bursting with melodic energy and rhythmic invention. Recorded at their Pacific Coast hideaway in late summer, the album captures the warmth and spontaneity of two great musicians locked in together; perfectly distilled into nine new songs teeming with desire, elegance and gusto.

...and I thought I was going to make it through the day without adding to my wish list. I'm guessing Rick is going to like this one as well.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Catching up here again... got my headphones back on after 3 days with our NY son and family here, including visits to see the grand daughters' "Nana" in the rehab hospital, but also lots of fun beach stuff....just sampled music posts this morning, listening through now (yes, I do like Rodrigo y Gabriela, T Cobe! And thanks Anthem, for posting it!).

Time to catch up on even more music listening, including Beethoven's 4th symphony on Blu-ray, hopefully tonight.

Love your posts also eiffel62! Great addition to this forum and thread. Keep 'em coming! Can't wait for your feedback on when you finally get to listen to your T1's/T2+'s/SCXXL in surround.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back