file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago

It took my ears a few minutes to adjust to the shift from Redman to Monk. This live recording from 1958 is not nearly as dynamic but there is far more ambiance provided by the real world setting for the performance. The levels are not perfect and there is a constant hum of background conversation as those there must have felt what they had to say was more important to listen to than Thelonious Monk live... :huh: Some things don't change with time.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Hey there Mr. T Cobe
I'll get around to ordering The Bad Plus, Joshua Redman, eventually.
I was gonna order Manhattan Jazz orchestra this morning (Birdland, Swing, Swing, Swing) but found out all their cds are coming out of Japan and take 1-2 months to arrive. I've ordered outside of the United States in the past and have had trouble with lost orders, so I guess I'll skip MJO a least for the time being.

Have you ordered Kenny Drew/Undercurrent yet?
Fantastic cd!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bro. Anthem,

Hope you're having a good Sunday fun day! I think Birdland and the Bad plus Joshua Redman are both worth the wait. I think there were a few copies of Birdland in stock when I ordered it weeks ago. My guess is that since it's fulfilled by Amazon directly, it would go to them first and then to you: minimizing the chance of getting lost but you probably have more experience in this than I do. In any case, it is a fantastic album!

No more new music on my end until next week. I've spent all of my allowance for this week. I'm going to take a break from cable upgrades for a few weeks to purchase some music and movies, so Undercurrent won't be too far down the road, along with a few others I've heard here. How long may depend on how many other albums peak my interest between now and then... ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Can you describe what you heard at the concert that so captivated you? Best you ever heard is a great complement!
BTW, I'd love some feedback on how your T1/T2+ combo sounds.

Rick

rjohn79395,

Thanks for the compliment. As far as the concerts, I usually dread going to them due to inflated prices by ticket sellers and most seem to too loud for my ears as I usually hear plenty of distortion. On the way to the theatre, I recall kicking myself for forgetting ear plugs in case the music was too loud, especially in the highs. But this was not the case here. Not overly bass'ed or screeching highs, sounded just like a well mastered SACD with GE Tritons!

I also heard the separation of instruments better than any other concert except perhaps orchestra. But this was Rockabilly genre with guitars, drums, full percussion, and electric bass. Perhaps, now that my home music system is nearly upgraded and I can hear better detail in that system, it translates into a more enjoyable experience when I do occasionally go to a concert.

As far as the sound experience with the T1/T2+ combo, I am patiently waiting for the other T1 to be repaired as it turns out, it was also damaged by a loose banana plug from Crown amp while deciding on a proper amp (Gen3). I do think the T2+ sounds terrific and cannot wait until I hear 5 GE speakers let loose with Dirac on the XMC-1.

Finally got around to first spin this early morning of another RCA Living Stereo (3 channel SACD) of Ravel's Bolero, La valse, & Rapsodie espagnole along with Debussy's Images for Orchestra all conducted by Charles Munch with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Sorry, Anthem, back to the Flecktones to finish up my speaker cable evaluation. This one sounds great at high volumes. I don't think there is a significant amount of banjo on this one. I have to say that my $1.30 per foot Belden cable isn't giving up much in terms of SQ. maybe a touch of resolution and space around the instruments, but it's marginal.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 1 month ago

Did someone say "BANJO"?
"BANJO" is my "Niagara Falls"... :laugh:
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back