file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Good evening, all. Busy weekend here. 20 cu. yards of mulch laid yesterday kept me going until I couldn't. No real time for music. Tonight, we hosted family for some pizza. After everyone left, I roasted a pound of Ethiopian Natural Hambela coffee to get me through the week.

I'm finally getting around to Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin'. This is a Blue Note, Rudy Van Gelder Edition. Sound is pretty darn good. Thanks to Anthem for the multiple references to this one. Imaging is good and each instrument has its own place on in the sound stage. Very entertaining! Birdland arrives tomorrow and I can hardly wait!!!

I can see how some may consider this a bit cookie cutter but this is a winner to me. I think any music that can be classified Into a genre that one doesn't like or is not familiar with could be considered cookie cutter. Bebop jazz is a favorite of mine but I can see how some may find the sound too similar with a core group of musical instruments and similar composition. I suppose the same could be said about just about any genre of music. Most of the electronica music all sounds pretty cookie cutter to me but it's not a music I am familiar with. I guess I don't find cookie cutter a derogatory term, but rather a term that expresses someone's apathy toward a particular style of music. Just my .02 on the topic.

After my demo of Nordost's cables, I decided to remove the Mogami cables. While the had depth and imaging, dynamics were weak, bass anemic, and the soundstage was downright small! I temporarily put my Monoprice cables back in place. The dynamics and soundstage are much better but there is absolutely no depth to the music. I guess it's a trade off for now. I ordered my first Red Dawn cable to go between my CD player and pre-amp. I still have the Mogami cables laying around. The first time I have someone over that says all cables sound the same will get a hands on lesson. Even between the Mogami and the Monoprice, the difference is dramatic, though a bit of a trade off. There should be little to no compromise with the Red Dawns.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BTW, if your post doesn't work on this thread, follow up with another post and they usually both magically appear. Maybe Moderator Dude can get the tech department to figure out the glitch...? Thank you, Sir!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Sounds like a busy weekend all around. My birthday was yesterday, and today we (pre) celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with a big party we hosted with music, dancing (my wife is a dancer and convinced me to learn some new numbers. My feet are tired!) We wanted to celebrate with friends here in TX before going to NH for the summer. How the heck did 50 years go by??? It happens fast, folks.

I'm already getting "separation anxiety " about leaving my GEt system behind for the summer when we head North on June 1. I bring most of my music access, either as CD's copied to my laptop, or with SONOS streaming. Don't have HT/surround there, so no Blu-ray stuff. But listening on a Bose Wave, or a Harmon Kardon soundbar, or a Jawbone just doesn't do it for me. I'm always asking, "where's the clean bass"?, "what happened to the detail?", "why are are the acoustic guitars so lifeless"? For a birthday present for myself, I got SONY MDR-1A headphones, to see if I can bridge the gap some while I'm gone from my GEt's. Hint to GEt, if you ever offer headphones that let me bring the GEt sound wherever I go, count me in! I'll be first in line.

Yes, Anthem, the SCXXL sounds a lot like her "father" the T1, as you put it. Father and daughter do share the genes....pretty admirable genes, if I do say.

Good luck experimenting, T Cobe. I really do admire the methodical way you approach making decisions. The offer is always open, if you want to borrow Anti-Cable power cords to add to your impressive array of options you try, say the word! Still say these did the most to clean up, add detail, remove noise, make things sound natural, etc. etc. of any interconnects, speaker cables, power cords I have ever tried.

Good stuff on this thread, as always (even if sometimes delayed through some kind of time warp). And, yes, I do love the kidding back and forth.

Ain't this (hobby? pursuit?) FUN??

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 3 months ago

Hey Rick:

Happy Birthday and 50th Wedding Anniversary, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
You still have a few days left this month, so keep the posts coming of what you are listening to on your GE's.

I'm number 2 in line for GET headphones.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Rick,

Happy birthday and anniversary! Congrats on both counts! Sounds like a great party. I bet you and your wife put on quite a dance show!

Thanks for the offer on the power cables. I read that Nordost feels the power cables are the most significant upgrade in terms of cables. This is certainly inline with what you and Anthem have discovered. I have certainly noticed the lower noise floor and less grainy texture in the music with my modestly upgraded power cables. I have no doubt the difference would be more significant with a better cable. A year ago I would have called anyone ranting about power cables delusional. What a difference a year makes.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. Have a look at GET's Facebook site today. You're being quoted for all to read!
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Thanks to my good buddies for the good wishes!

P.S. to T Cobe: those two Anti-Cables are going to be sitting here all summer with nothing to do.............

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back