Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, Pbgalvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
If you like bass from drums, then I highly recommend this 2013 release from The Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach" album from Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 2102. I have the 2004 Mercury SACD which also has a 5.1 remix along with stereo, but that disc is muddier compared to the MoFi stereo version with much better dynamics. About 13 minutes into the song Mountain Jam, the two drummers duel it out and the Triton Ones, along with the mastering finesse of MoFi using the original master tapes, really give a treat!

Read this review by a poster named analogue on sa-cd.net, who really nails what I heard last night with this song.

Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by anthem. info_outline

Joe Magnarelli / Persistence (2008) -- I Had The Craziest Dream

Super sweet song with beautiful trumpet and wonderful bass from Joe and his gang.

For the life of me I just can't remember. T Cobe, did you not promise to loan me your T1's for the summer, or did I have the Craziest Dream?

Maybe it was Rick...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Tweaking placement again tonight and going way outside my previous window. Back on Mingus Dynasty.

Anthem, truth be told, I imbibe from time to time but I would have to consume an awful lot to consent to something like lending out my T1s for the Summer... I'm guessing it was Rick since he'll be at the mansion on the lake all Summer anyway. Maybe we can be good neighbors and check in on his home in Texas for him from time to time... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: Anthem, truth be told, I imbibe from time to time but I would have to consume an awful lot to consent to something like lending out my T1s for the Summer... I'm guessing it was Rick since he'll be at the mansion on the lake all Summer anyway. Maybe we can be good neighbors and check in on his home in Texas for him from time to time... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hey, guys

Or, was it Anthem, wanting to lend out his power cords, fantastic amps, pre/pro's, CD collection.... :laugh:

Sure, check in on the Texas home this summer, listen to the T1's/T2's/SCXXL playing surround music. Though there should be a warning on T1's, something to the effect "CAUTION; Listening to these can be addictive". Anthem, I suspect if you "borrowed" any T1's for the summer, they'd never leave your home on a return trip. :)

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks to eiffel62's post, I ordered and just listened to the SACD Living Stereo version of Van Cliburn I just received, of Tchaicovsky's Piano concerto no. 1, and Rachmaninoff's Concerto no. 2.

Wow. Oh wow. As the jacket says, it can be played as regular CD, SACD stereo, or SACD surround (though even though it's called 5.0, it's really 3.0, just at it was originally recorded.. fronts and center channel no surrounds). I tried it in all formats. ANY format works just great. What I can say is that the recording of the piano playing by Van Cliburn is just phenomenal.. after trying all formats, I settled in on multi-channel stereo (my favorite, where 5.1 surround isn't an option), where the T1's, SCXXL, T2's and ceiling Invisa 525's all played together.

This is an amazing recording. The piano piece is of course the centerpiece. The dynamic range is superb. The piano itself, is SO right, every note, every reverb on the soundboard...The recording engineers knew what they were doing. What I found, again, is that adding surround voicing just brings the whole performance out into the room. It's kind of like going from 2D video to 3D, where 3D just brings the dimension further into the room. Well, adding the T2's as surrounds does the same. The sound just seems to "come into the room". It's as though the piano is RIGHT THERE, in front of you, every note so perfectly sounded out. I felt like I could just reach out and touch the piano.... it was that close and so real. The best piano recording I have heard to date. Wow again.

Thanks again, eiffel62! Keep 'em coming! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! For anyone with GEt speakers and surround options, I recommend giving it a try with this recording.. that piano was right there in front of me, every note so clear, every reverb so distinctive.. another case where I just wanted to stand up and touch that piano because it was right in front of me..

Wayne, if you're still "checking in" now and then, I know you love 3 channel/Living Stereo stuff, if you don't have this recording, it's well worth getting and a definite "keeper". Maybe even try it in multi-channel with your gorgeous T2 fronts/SC/T3's/T7's.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe, eiffel62

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back