file Currently playing

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago

Pbgalvin wrote: Went to a piano recital at my church this weekend - got a seat right to the open side of the piano for max listening pleasure. Then fired up my sound system today to compare in a "is it live or is it memorex" kinda way.

Listened to Kodama playing the Pathetique second movement (as in the recital) from the CDs Beethoven Piano Sonatas 1-24. Sounded very nice indeed.

And then went for broke with Alfred Brendel's CD Sonate per piano 14,8,23,26 - listened to the Moonlight Sonata - wasn't played at the recital but wanted to check it out anyway. Most excellent - sounded like the piano was in the room with me.

Hi, Pbgalvin

Great choices in music!!! "Moonlight Sonata" is my favorite piece of all time. First heard it played by a music professor in college, and was mesmerized. "Pathetique" is also a favorite. GEt speakers can also present well recorded piano music likes it's "right there".

You chose a great seat at the concert, right in front of the piano soundboard. We've been to concerts in NH, and always want to be where we can see see and hear the piano.

Piano is a great instrument. Well played, and presented by great speakers, it just transports me to concert halls.... On so-so speakers, so-so results.. But on speakers that capture every strike of a key, every touch of a pedal, well, it's transporting..

For anyone wanting to sample piano at it's best, in addition to Pbgalvin's first rate offerings, consider also trying some Rachmaninoff..

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Forgive me, I've been a little preoccupied of late. We live in a retirement community, full of things to do, and my wife loves to dance and is part of a dance group. One of their performing sections travels to shut-ins, like nursing homes, and gives song and dance performances, no charge. I am the "soundman", and set up microphones, headsets, etc., and play the music. I can't begin to describe the joy of seeing eyes light up and feet start tamping when we add a little joy to their lives.

So, I'm trying to catch up again with all the good stuff that's being posted on this forum. What I really enjoy is when folks "open up" a little, and share a piece of what's happening, and what SQ issues and choices they are dealing with.

Yes, I love the music suggestions, and yes, I love sampling all the offerings suggested here. But I also love reading about personal experiences. Thanks Pbgalvin, T Cobe, Anthem, Roman et all for sharing!!!

Happy listening.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 4 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote: I am the "soundman", and set up microphones, headsets, etc., and play the music. I can't begin to describe the joy of seeing eyes light up and feet start tamping when we add a little joy to their lives.

I experience this as well. One of my other hobbies is playing league poker for fun. League poker is not much different than say a dart league or pool league and is often played in bars and VFWs. The league players range from 20-30s something young lads/lassies training for the WSOP to retired, fixed income individuals who just want to socialize and play cards. I often become the dj playing music on the venue's jukebox which nowadays have apps for smart phones/tablets allowing one to easily select music from the card table.

When the crowd is primarily senior, I often select early rock'n'roll tunes. It is amazing to see how many sing along with the tunes, often requesting more of the same. It is a joy to provide this for them, even if it cost a bit to dj for 2 or more hours on these pay-for-hear jukeboxes.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Hey Rick, any recommendations of good sounding CDs of Rach? I have some but interested in any you've found...
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 8 years 4 months ago

Pbgalvin wrote: any recommendations of good sounding CDs of Rach? I have some but interested in any you've found...

Not Rick, but I have the hybrid SACD, which plays CD, of the RCA Living Stereo series with Van Cliburn, pianist, playing Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 18, in C minor. The SACD layer is in 3.0 from the original three track tape recordings and the sound is impressive. The CD layer would be in stereo. More info can be found here.

I know there are other Rachmaninoff piano concertos in the RCA Living Stereo series, which I am currently adding to my collection of SACDs. These are a great bargain and many can be had for under $15/SACD. I too love Rachmaninoff and eagerly await other hi-rez versions and suggestions.

Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Thanks eiffel62 - actually thanks very much!
I have lots of those Living Stereos, but I don't have the ability to play SACD anymore.
But.....forgot they have stereo on them too! So now I have lots of ripping to do to load them into my mac to play through the GeTs. Will do this one first and have a listen.
Much appreciated!
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back