file Currently playing

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Hey Rick,
I hear where you are coming from, but I think you are on the right track and have NOTHING to worry about!!!!
There are those that like to keep everything the same style and colors (like our good brother T Cobe does, ha ha)
and those that like everything the same brand to fit nicely on the shelf or in their racks.
You have a better reason, to keep everything sounding the same.
BUT most in this crazy game try to find the BEST (they can afford and get ahold of) at each piece of the audio puzzle.
And then some of those guys try to build a system with a synergy where it all plays together right and sounds right in their listening environment.
I suggest that is a pretty good way to do things. And, unfortunately is has to be largely by trial and error. Some like to use cables as a way to get more detail (silver perhaps) or to tame some brightness, get more bass (copper perhaps).
I like tubes. I think the music is more natural and well, shoot, more musical! I need too much power and a strong bass to get by with all tubes, so I mix them in with hybrid amps.
Some use room correction, built in or electronic.
The key is to audition all you can using your ears and in your own listening environment if possible.
Then you sell the house and move, and heck, you have to tweak it all over again!!! ha ha ha
Rick, I am just trying to say I don't think you will go wrong AT ALL mixing brands, just work to get the sound that is right for you!
T. Cobe, I have several CDs with organ music and none that I would really recommend. Mostly because I just cannot get that kind of power, bass and glory in my home theater. Just not possible for me with the T 2s and FF 5. I think you can do it with the Triton Ones and those who get the new XXL will surely get it.
I heard a real organ in a cathedral in NYC a few months ago, was right under it! NOT POSSIBLE in my house.
Some things we cannot get until heaven.
Waiting.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey Rick,
I hear where you are coming from, but I think you are on the right track and have NOTHING to worry about!!!!
There are those that like to keep everything the same style and colors (like our good brother T Cobe does, ha ha)
and those that like everything the same brand to fit nicely on the shelf or in their racks.
You have a better reason, to keep everything sounding the same.
BUT most in this crazy game try to find the BEST (they can afford and get ahold of) at each piece of the audio puzzle.
And then some of those guys try to build a system with a synergy where it all plays together right and sounds right in their listening environment.
I suggest that is a pretty good way to do things. And, unfortunately is has to be largely by trial and error. Some like to use cables as a way to get more detail (silver perhaps) or to tame some brightness, get more bass (copper perhaps).
I like tubes. I think the music is more natural and well, shoot, more musical! I need too much power and a strong bass to get by with all tubes, so I mix them in with hybrid amps.
Some use room correction, built in or electronic.
The key is to audition all you can using your ears and in your own listening environment if possible.
Then you sell the house and move, and heck, you have to tweak it all over again!!! ha ha ha
Rick, I am just trying to say I don't think you will go wrong AT ALL mixing brands, just work to get the sound that is right for you!
T. Cobe, I have several CDs with organ music and none that I would really recommend. Mostly because I just cannot get that kind of power, bass and glory in my home theater. Just not possible for me with the T 2s and FF 5. I think you can do it with the Triton Ones and those who get the new XXL will surely get it.
I heard a real organ in a cathedral in NYC a few months ago, was right under it! NOT POSSIBLE in my house.
Some things we cannot get until heaven.
Waiting.
God Bless,
Wayne

Hi, Wayne

You're right, it is all about what sounds good to our particular listening preferences. Thanks for the input. It makes sense to me to choose and test each component for what it can do to increase the quality of that piece of the audio stream, and if it makes an incremental improvement without causing any backsliding in how the system sounds as an integrated whole, then go for it.

So, I'm going to do this a step at a time if possible. It's a nice place to be in where the sound is already so good that part of the improvement process is making sure nothing gets lost with any upgrade changes!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Playing some of the usual suspects this morning for critical listening to test out my new pre-amp. The Wife is still asleep directly overhead, so I can't unleash the fury but things are sounding great. The T1s are working their magic. The mids are warm and natural. Bass it tight and well defined. The highs are shimmering and airy. The amount of detail, even at low volume, is most excellent!

Started with Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company. Listened to Fever with Natalie Cole and Sinner's Prayer with B.B. King. The tone, depth, localization, detail, and emotion were there in spades.

Following that, I switched over to Chesky Record's: The Ultimate Demonstration Disc. This CD is truly my go to source for testing any changes in my system. The recordings are all very high quality and allow a great system to shine. The sound could be described as high definition and three dimensional, terms usually reserved for picture but accurate just the same. Among my favorite tracks on this disc are: Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon, Correnteza by Ana Caram, I Love Paris by Johnny Frigo, and Stravinsky's The Royal March.

I may be listening to a lot of music today...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, Splash51

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Off to the Dr. this morning...a few Smooth Lycks before the Glorious Event. Spyro Gyra/Stories Without Words (1987) -- Joyride.

Congrats, T Cobe, on your "Ole School" listening approach. I pray you'll have many hours of listening enjoyment. Any plans on upgrading that "Ole School" power cord on the XSP-1 with an Venom 3? Join rjohn, dilettante, and myself...experience the thrill of Venom.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good luck with the listening T. Cobe, enjoy!!!!! Wish I could join you!!!!!
It's not every day you can add something sweet to your system.
Yeah, Rebecca P singing Spanish Harlem, that is SWEEEEEEEET!!!! On that cut, the background should be dead quiet, no hash or crud at all! I suspect you will not hear any either. Your system is getting QUITE ADVANCED!!!!!
Like I said, ENJOY!!!!!
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Praying for a great doctor's report for you Bro Anthem!!!!
I hope there is not TOO MUCH VENOM in your system!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back