file Currently playing

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Hi, thanks guys, Splash51, I really enjoyed that report. I know you told us some of that before, but I get what you are doing with your system, and I bet it sounds fantastic!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by T Cobe. info_outline

anthem wrote: Wednesday morning, listening to Spyro Gyra/20/20 -- (1997) -- 20/20.

T Cobe: the big day is here...are you throwing an XSP-1 party this weekend? I'd come if I could. :)

John79395: When you get ready to order your Emotiva amps -- REMEMBER -- CHRISTMAS is right around the corner...I'll give you my garage code, just set them inside.

Right you are, Anthem. My XSP-1 is being driven around all day on a brown truck. Unfortunately, I am almost always the last stop on the route and my deliveries arrive between 4 and 6:30 PM. That means no new toy time for me today as I have plans tonight. I'll be in the basement first thing tomorrow AM like a kid on Christmas morning! I'll probably have to wait until my Wife gets out of bed to play some music at a respectable volume... :blink:

I'm not sure who would show up if I had a party... You'd certainly be on the list if not for the geographical separation; however, I don't have any Spyro Gyra... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Rick,

I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to replace the NAD amps. I'm sure they sound fantastic but if you are able to add an XPA-1L to your SCXL, I'm confident you would like the results. In my system, it made a huge difference. As DT was eluding to, this amp runs hot in class A mode and will need some ventilation. In AB mode, it's reasonably cool but I'd still want a bit of air movement. The 30-day guarantee makes it a fairly low risk experiment. While I still plan to upgrade to the SCXXL, another XPA-1L would certainly make that upgrade less urgent. Combine the two together like DT and I'd bet the results would be jaw dropping.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Hi T Cobe, how long is the version of Bach in D minor you are referring to? I found one on HDTracks that is just over 8 min.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago

T Cobe wrote: Rick,

I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to replace the NAD amps. I'm sure they sound fantastic but if you are able to add an XPA-1L to your SCXL, I'm confident you would like the results. In my system, it made a huge difference. As DT was eluding to, this amp runs hot in class A mode and will need some ventilation. In AB mode, it's reasonably cool but I'd still want a bit of air movement. The 30-day guarantee makes it a fairly low risk experiment. While I still plan to upgrade to the SCXXL, another XPA-1L would certainly make that upgrade less urgent. Combine the two together like DT and I'd bet the results would be jaw dropping.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Thanks, T Cobe and DT

I started out wanting to stick within brands (NAD cd player, AVR, amp for the stack, all GEt speakers, all copper cable) so as not to introduce even subtle tonal variations between components, and now after digesting lots of good input in this forum, here I am about to take some steps away from that concept (NOT with speakers, I'm hooked on GEt speakers), like replacing the NAD 7.1 channel AVR with a 9.2 channel Marantz SR 7010 when it becomes available, adding an Emotiva center channel amp, still driving the fronts with an NAD amp. I.E. progressing from a same brand stack to a mixed brand stack. PLUS upgrading cables, but still staying with copper. OH, and adding Venom 3 power cords.

I think changing to Venom 3 power cords is completely safe, and I think I can sort my way through upgrading cables without introducing tonal differences among speakers, with better premiums for the fronts and center and more modest upgrades for the longer runs to the rears and ceiling speakers.

But I'd appreciate any/all comments and feedback about mixing brands in the stack. I.E. will an NAD stereo amp for the fronts and an Emotiva amp for the center play nicely together, and still tonally match the other channels driven directly by a Marantz AVR? I know I can always return a component if I don't like what I hear, but I'd like to hear about other folk's experiences with mixing brands in the pre-amp/amp stage.

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
DT,

It's about 3:30. Would like something on disc. I'm old school (by current standards). Thank you.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back