heart Power Cords

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Splash51 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hi all, I used a wrong term, its a High Freq filter not a broadband filter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
But you are right Splash, they are NOT for speaker cables for sure nor interconnects either (I think).
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Wayne, yes only for power.

Thanks for pointing this out ;)

I did some prelimjnary listening today, I think I hear some subtle Improvements! I will make a full report after I ID a few tracks I can definitely hear something better. I am also going to solicit the help of my step son. He is 23 with a good ear for music. I am going to do a blind (or should I say deaf!) listening test. To see what he hears, he is completely unbiased on the components and will not know what I am changing or when. Just track to track comparison. Kinda like Coke .vs Pepsi challenge :lol:

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
RE ferrite beads and cores: the literature on line is very mixed regarding using them on speaker cables and interconnects, with more recommending NOT using them than using them, So, for now, I am trying them on HDMI cables and the power cord to the amp only.

The news is that I got the Signal Cable ULTRA's today for the front T1's and the SCXXL. Well, given the clarity and detail I was already experiencing with the 12 gauge copper cables (that Wayne calls lampcord), I was having trouble imaging how that could get much better. So, I first picked two pieces that represented music I was very familiar with, and that represented good combinations of bass demands and mid and treble nuances: Brooks and Dunn's "My Maria", and Eric Clapton"s "Tears in Heaven", with lots of acoustic guitar plucking.

First, I connected the right front T1 only, and played both those pieces. I went back and forth between the right T1 with the ULTRA cable, and the left T1 with the old 12 gauge copper. Well, the difference was clear. The ULTRA fed speaker was cleaner in the whole tonal range. I can't put a percentage on that, but it was cleaner. I was concerned that the ULTRA';s might add some unwanted brightness. Wrong.

So, I changed the connections on the other T1 plus the SCXXL to ULTRAs also. Another feature that was noticeable was that instrument and vocal locations in the stoundstage got more detailed also.

So, no added brightness, just more detail, nuance, cleanness.. And,, the starting point was good to begin with!

The ULTRA's are staying, along with the Venom 3 power cords on the T2's and the AVR. With a Kimber TONIK already in place as the interconnect between the AVR and the amp, I am totally happy with cables and interconnects for the front and center. Anyone thinking about cable upgrades, include the ULTRA's in your thought process! Thanks again, Wayne, for the tip!

This leads me to another decision point: the T2 surrounds got cleaner, better with the Venom 3's, but they still are fed with 12 gauge "lampcord". The runs to those are about 50' each, with the rises in in the front wall to the attic and the descends in the rear wall included. I'll have to look at cost effective options there also.

The ULTRA cables are thick, several times the thickness of the cables they replaced, with a woven black covering. Not unattractive, but very substantial looking.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, Splash51, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hey Rick,
Glad you got the cables and are enjoying the music!!!!! There are better cables but they are MUCH more expensive!
The Ultra cables are VERY substantial, the black looks great in a darkened home theater. ha
They will break in a little bit, not much, get a little better.
Th silver resolution cables that I use are the ones that "might" bring some brightness IF one has any harshness in the rest of their playback system. For me they are just more finely resolving. They "may" cause me to miss out on a touch of bass, but I can easily compensate for that.
Enjoy, happy listening, sounds like you are really set!!!
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe, Tsgt2007

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
You guys are awesome! Cables make a big difference and I noticed it more now than before. It took a little time but cables have to break in. I can tell you that I hear a difference in sound, it's very smooth and the bass is nice and tight. I love it!
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back