heart Power Cords

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Good one tsgt2007, we may have to upgrade you to 2016!!!!!!
Enjoy, happy listening, God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Tsgt2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Tsgt2007. info_outline
Hello Wayne!
LOL!! I can't do anymore upgrades for a long time. I invested alot of cash in the past few months. Hopefully I will be good for a while.
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hi all,
1st
The only real difference between a ferrite bead and core is size. Cores tend to have the wire or wires(bundle) looped though the hole multiple times. A bead is typically referred to a s a single pass through the ferrite. There are many differing ferrite EM characteristics determined by the material they are made of. All I am referring to here is a snap-on HF Bead. Fry's carries them for under $5.

Ferrite material is magnetic, please do not put it on speaker cables or interconnects!!!!

2nd
Based on info supplied by anthem (thanks anthem!! see below)
I am only using the beads on power cables, specifically on the power cables of components with DAC's. Theory is I am eliminating noise at the source(if it exists), if this holds true I may only need a filter on a few components.
I am going to do some experiments.

I am having tooo much fun with this :laugh:

Detailed report follow!!!

Enjoy!!!
DT

DAC linearity will determine if they inject noise back on the power line and at which frequencies. IC and board design are also determining factors if this noise is released on the power line. Many factors will determine if filters on power lines will help.

From previous post:
I've been emailing Daniel at Dedicated Audio in Scottsdale, AZ about the Shunyata Venom Digital power cord. Here is briefly what he had to say:The Shunyata Venom Digital seems to add a greater dynamics to the music. It does this by filtration. DACs back feed a large amount of noise back into the AC line, which in turn is reproduced by the downstream electronics. By filtering out this harmful frequency, the background noise is reduced, thus increasing the dynamic range. It other words, the black is blacker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Well, I started this thread about power cords, but it has become, more appropriately, about the whole audio chain from pre, amp, through interconnects and speaker cable, to speakers.

Since here is where is I started the dialog about upgrades, here is where I will describe what I have found. I have now upgraded power cords, cables and interconnects, so it's time to add the finishing touches to equipment.

My pre ordered Marantz SR 7010 arrived at my local dealer several days ago, and I had already scheduled an audition of the OPPO's to replace my Panasonic Blu-ray DVD player for today. So off I went, with a number of music DVD's plus CD discs to see what the OPPO player would do for my system.

Re the OPPO's, I had expected the 103D to sound nearly identical to the 105D in HDMI/digital mode, vs, the 105D's superiority in analog out mode, and would come home with a 103D and use the Marantz's DAC.. Well, the 105D is in a class by itself, and either OPPO is in a class where the Panasonic doesn't come close. But the 105D just did everything better than anything I've ever heard, including in HDMI/digital mode. The detail, the richness, gorgeous bass! Nuances like organ pedal steps just got so clear. SO, I came home with an OPPO 105D in addition to the Marantz receiver, some lighter in the wallet than I had expected. BUT, I really like the options I now have to try analog and balanced outs, plus analog surround (how will I deal with ATMOS height for DVD"s ? I don't know) But I like having future options open. AND, I like feeding my gorgeous GEt speakers the best audio I can find. The OPPO will replace both the Panasonic DVD player and the NAD C546CEE CD player. To be fair, the NAD CD player was also good, but there's no point to keeping a separate CD player when the OPPO will play ANYTHING, including SACD's, which I now cannot play

Monday is the earliest I can install both the Marantz receiver and the the OPPO. I also have to get the Harmony remote reprogammed to recognize the Marantz and the OPPO. Otherwise, the WAF drops to close to zero. She does NOT want to deal with multiple remotes to listen to what she wants. I will give some feedback on what I hear from the Marantz and the OPPO in MY system Monday or Tuesday.

I am excited! Can't wait to hear what these upgrades do for my system. The DTS:X feature is now called "DTS:X ready" on the 7010. It will come as a firmware upgrade sometime in 2015. In the meantime, I will test out ATMOS as best I can.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Rick,

Congrats on the upgrades! I'm not surprised wth your findings on the Oppo. The ESS DAC is highly regarded and their implementation of that DAC seems to be airtight. IMO, you'd have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to find a player that does more or better than the 105.

I'll definitely be curious to hear how you rate the Marantz. I'm still leaning towards the new 7702 mkII so your impressions of the 7010 should provide some insight. Is this replacing a NAD as well? Hopefully it will at least be a lateral move in SQ with an increase in capabilities. Were you able to listen to this receiver in the store?

Good luck tomorrow with the integration. I would bet that the Harmony remote integration goes smoothly. The brands you've selected are pretty widely used and should be nearly 100% with the Harmony. My integration was nearly seamless until I added my pre-amp into the mix. Getting my home theater bypass selected on the XSP-1 has been a little buggy but Emotiva is not nearly as predominant as Oppo or Marantz. WAF is an integral part of any system!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Rick,

Congrats on the upgrades! I'm not surprised wth your findings on the Oppo. The ESS DAC is highly regarded and their implementation of that DAC seems to be airtight. IMO, you'd have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to find a player that does more or better than the 105.

I'll definitely be curious to hear how you rate the Marantz. I'm still leaning towards the new 7702 mkII so your impressions of the 7010 should provide some insight. Is this replacing a NAD as well? Hopefully it will at least be a lateral move in SQ with an increase in capabilities. Were you able to listen to this receiver in the store?

Good luck tomorrow with the integration. I would bet that the Harmony remote integration goes smoothly. The brands you've selected are pretty widely used and should be nearly 100% with the Harmony. My integration was nearly seamless until I added my pre-amp into the mix. Getting my home theater bypass selected on the XSP-1 has been a little buggy but Emotiva is not nearly as predominant as Oppo or Marantz. WAF is an integral part of any system!

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

I haven't tested the Marantz's 9.2 channel sound yet. It will be replacing the 7.1 channel NAD T757, and let me reconnect the ceiling INVISA's just outside and in back of the sectional seating/listening position as a ATMOS height channel. With two sub outs, I can separately connect/control the T1's and the T2's subs as units (at least I think that's the best way..the other option is to connect/EQ a left T1/T2 channel vs a right T1/T2 channel, but I want to first try connecting/EQ'ing the T1's and T2's as units). Any thoughts on L/R vs F/R sub balancing gladly accepted. I'll still use the CE Labs AV400 distribution amp to avoid using y splitters on LFE. And I'll still use the NAD stereo amp to power the T1's.

I also want to try out the AUDYSSEY MultiEQ XT32 room EQ system and see what it does, or doesn't do for SQ.

If I'm not happy with the Marantz SQ I can achieve, then it's back to 7.1 channels on the NAD and no ATMOS. I don't think that's going to be the case.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back