file Triton 2 vs Triton 5 plus FF5

• mogray64's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 28
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mogray64 Posted 9 years 5 months ago
I am building a home theater room and looking for the best speaker configuration. I am planning a 7.1.4 Atmos system. I will be using my current Aon 3s for rear speakers, my SS 3s for the side speakers, SC XL center.

I need to purchase new fronts and ceiling speakers and possibly a sub. My thoughts are the Invisa 650 for the ceiling. For the fronts/sub I am torn between a pair of Triton 2s or a pair of Triton 5s with a FF5 sub. Any input on this choice would be a huge help.

My room is a dedicated theater that is 17' X 11' with 8' ceilings. I will be using a Marantz SR7009 receiver with a Emotiva XPA200 powering the front speakers. This will be used for Movies and TV 70% and music 30% (I have another system for music).

I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Hey Mogray64,
I got mo gray when I got 64 too!!! ha ha
I have the T 2s with the FF5 sub and love them both!!!!
Highly recommended!!!!
Enjoy the experience of putting together the best system you can, you are in exactly the right place, the speakers are here.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
mogray64,

Good questions and I believe you are in the right place. I am doing something similar to you and so far have the SuperCenterXL and Aon3s up front. I can repeat what I've read thus far and what has been stated by the GET Moderator, industry professionals, and forum members.

Aon 3s are a great choice for the surround channels and what I have decided on based on my information on Atmos and directional sound versus traditional surround. Atmos mixes will have a lot more energy with directional sound and I believe there is a significant benefit to having more powerful surround speakers. GETs set up for Atmos includes Triton Ones up front and Triton Twos for surrounds. This creates a fully enveloping LFE and a lot of directional sound. I have considered going this direction now as well.

In deciding between the T2s and T5s, well, that's a matter of personal taste. I'd say listen to both and decide what you like better. Both should be fantastic in a full theater set up.

In terms of your ceiling speakers, I think the Moderator will suggest the Invisa HTR7000s with your ceiling height. These are the same speakers they used in their trade show set up as well and the industry has raved about the sound. That's as far as I've gone in my research. I think T2s or T5s up front and Aon3s for surrounds would sound great! You're on the right track and everything should sound great! Please let us know what you decide and how everything sounds.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• bradorner's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 171
bradorner Posted 9 years 5 months ago
T2s with a sub will sound great. I ran that configuration with SS50s as surrounds (later T7s) and SS 50C as heights (not atmos). Excellent setup.

I have recently upgraded to T1s in front and moved the T2s to surrounds, running all 4 configured as full size and also using LFE connections on both through T1s and T2s.

I've found the 4 Triton sub setup with LFE gives a smoother overall envelope and was a bit easier to dial in.

But, the T2s in front, SS 50s as surrounds (before I got the T7s) with a sub behind my couch still kicked very serious butt and sounded great.

I've been debating about going to Atmos and look forward to hearing about your choices and results. I'm finding that the T1s and T2s are so good together that I now prefer running Direct instead of matrix processing like DSX or Neo:X for content that is well produced. So atmos doesn't feel quite as compelling to me at the moment (but I've never heard a demo)
Living Room:
Triton 1 - R,L
SuperCenter XL - Center
Triton 2 - Surrounds
SuperSat 50 - Rear surrounds
Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro
Emotiva XPA-1 G2 monoblocks, R/L/C,
Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks: surrounds, rears

Home Office Office:
Triton 7 - R,L
Emotiva XPA1-L, Stealth DC-1 DAC

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 9 years 5 months ago
This is going to be a close race between the two setups. Probably too close to call. I would have your local store set both up for you to do an A/B comparison. Close your eyes and have him play both....follow your ears....and write your check. :)

Roman
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Roman is correct. Hearing the difference between GET speakers can be difficult. That's a testament to their design and suitability for a home theater or multi channel music set up. In fine tuning my set up and checking the difference between the SuperCenterXL and the Aon 3, I set up one of each in a stereo configuration to hear the difference. It was clear that the SuperCenterXL was better when I listened in that configuration. It was difficult to tell otherwise.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 2 vs Triton 5 plus FF5