file Triton 2 vs Triton 5 plus FF5

• Visitor
  • Visitor
murphy2112 Posted 9 years 5 months ago
I have Triton Twos and two Velodyne subwoofers. They are all at the front sound stage. It's hard to say which is better (TTs or T5's with a FF5), but I would probably consider the T5's and FF5 over the TTs. I would try to listen to them both. One big factor is your room. Do you have multiple options for positioning the two front speakers? If yes, then TTs. If no, then you will be stuck with whatever bass your room give us. So go with an FF5 in that case, assuming you have more flexibility in moving that around.

The biggest issue I find is bass management - positioning the speakers so that you get good bass coverage across the widest range of listening positions. With a portable sub, you have more options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eric Tichi's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 76
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Eric Tichi Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Triton 5 with dual subs. I have not heard GE subs so I will not speak out against them like an ignoramus. However, there are so many subs to pick from SVS, HSU, PSA, ... Subs are not timber matched so you have the world to pick from. I would NOT feel trapped to only look at GE subs.
Play it loud.

Emotiva UMC-200
Parasound A21
Parasound A23
Triton 5 L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Dayton 18 sealed (DIY)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
I'm not disagreeing with Eric, but I will say that some subs are more difficult to integrate. I would lean towards a sealed sub with the Tritons. I've found that the ported designs can sound a little flabby and not as "musical" though I'm sure there are exceptions. The T5s definitely sound amazing. Passive towers and separate subs definitely give you more flexibility for placement and set up, but integration and matching can be tricky. Good luck and happy hunting.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• mogray64's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 28
mogray64 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Thanks to everyone for their input. Unfortunately I made the mistake of going down to Arizona HiFi and listening to the T1. That audition, combined with the release of the new DTS:X format, has made my decision easier. I am going the T1 route! The T1s blew me away.

I will leave the Atmos/ DTS:X enhancement with a new receiver and height speakers for the future when DTS:X receivers become available.

So for the first iteration my speakers will be T1 front, Super Center XL, Aon3 rear surround and SS3 side surround. Now I just need to get the room built.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
mogray64,

Good call! That didn't appear to be an option in earlier posts if I recall. That is very similar to what I have minus the SSATs. I'm debating on the side surrounds. It's between the Aon 3, T5, or T2. No sub needed with the T1s but I think 360 of LFE with the T1s and T2s would be amazing.

It's pretty hard not to go with the T1s once you listen to them. Congrats! Let us know how they sound when you get them in place.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• mogray64's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 28
mogray64 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Thanks T Cobe. I noticed my system is almost the same as yours. In fact, for now I am running the same Integra receiver. I am also going with the Epson 5030UB projector. How do you like your Epson?

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 2 vs Triton 5 plus FF5