file Triton 2 vs Triton 5 plus FF5

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
The Epson is great! Very versatile for various lighting conditions. THX or Cinema are great for when you can black out the room and then living room or dynamic for when you need to keep some ambient light. Picture quality is very good and I'll hold onto this until a reasonable 4k is available.

I would consider a better screen with a smoother surface. There are a few high end options and they look less grainy. A good 4k screen would be a good compliment to go along with the 5030/6030.

If you have the 70.2, I'd recommend bi-amping per the instruction manual, setting speakers to 4-ohms, using the high quality RCA jacks for TV/CD next to the phono input, and using RCA cables for analog input from your CD player. These are the settings I have settled on for music and it sounds pretty amazing. When do you plan to get the speakers?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Congrats MoGray64 on a great decision!!!!
It sounds like a super setup to me, I am sure you will love it!!!!!
Well done.
Happy listening when you get it all in place,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, mogray64

• bradorner's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 171
bradorner Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by bradorner. info_outline
Congrats MoGray64, you're going to be very happy with that setup. Those T1s do have that pesky effect - once you audition them, you're under their spell. Happened to me too.

T.Cobe - When I got my T1s, I moved my T2s to the surround positions, replacing the T7s I had there. The T7s are fantastic, but as you surmised, having the LFE extension into the T2s is magical. In my space, the low end is really nicely controlled with no hint of spacial locality. Prior to the T1/T2 combo, I had T2s in front an a paradigm studio sub 12 behind the couch. That was also a great bass setup, but there was still a front/back location discernible. I found myself regularly tweaking the paradigm sub level setting to try to perfect the balance. Very subtle, and the overall sound was great, but I find the T1/T2 setup to be much more seamless.

As a side note, I moved dthe T7s and Paradigm sub to my bedroom, and the combo is amazing there. The acoustics are better than my living room (wall to wall carpet, smaller, more complex angles), so I actually get a 'tighter' sound than my living room. I'm assuming its largely because I need to get more sound absorption in place in the Living room - hardwood floors with only one area carpet. I have a few pillows along the wall between the T1s, but there is still a lot of blank parallel surfaces ripe for reflection.

Re Epson - I have an 8350 and have been pretty happy with it. Great picture, providing the room is reasonably dark. The only issue I've had is I get an 'auto iris failure' message around 3-5% of the time when I turn it on. I just have to power it down and repower it and the message goes away. The price is down to $899 on amazon (it was nearly $2K when I bought it 4 years ago), which makes it a great deal given its performance. Its not 3d, but the 1080p IQ is quite good.
Living Room:
Triton 1 - R,L
SuperCenter XL - Center
Triton 2 - Surrounds
SuperSat 50 - Rear surrounds
Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro
Emotiva XPA-1 G2 monoblocks, R/L/C,
Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks: surrounds, rears

Home Office Office:
Triton 7 - R,L
Emotiva XPA1-L, Stealth DC-1 DAC
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, mogray64

• mogray64's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 28
mogray64 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hi T Cobe. Thanks for the input on the set up.

As for the ETA on the speakers, I am in the middle of a major remodel that includes raising the roof and ceilings in the main living areas 2 feet and adding on a theater room. The forms for the theater foundation went in yesterday. With the fact that all my furniture now resides in the garage and the remodel work wont be done for about 8 weeks I am guessing I will get the speakers in July. Anticipation is half the fun???
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hey MoGray64 I know what it is like to wait on speakers while you build. It is tough but it will all be worth it in the end.
I am sure it will be a wonderful home theater!
Happy Listening when you get there, hang in there.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogray64

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
I have yet to listen to T1s because I'm afraid! I'm sure it's a great choice though, and likely better than any of the other combinations mentioned heretofore. I am going to be on the lookout for T1 used if the price is right :)
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, mogray64

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 2 vs Triton 5 plus FF5