file Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 4 months ago
I do really like the concept of the Gaia’s, eapecially ease of movement vs spikes on wood floors.

I tend to mini adjust the Triton positions to maximize fine tune imaging, so using spikes intimidates me some. Scratching the floor is a definite WAF no-no.

Haven’t crossed the spike line yet for that reason.

Gaia’s for floorstanders seem a good option, though pricey.

Any feedback from folks re spike vs Gaia effectiveness?

Want to try something here...

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Rick,

Any interest in considering my threaded bolts alternative?

Best,

Art

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 4 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Rick,

Any interest in considering my threaded bolts alternative?

Best,

Art

Hi, Art

Yes, probably.

What can you tell me about SQ changes goingthat route?

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Rick,

Background: When I purchased my Triton Sevens, I never installed the spikes because the Sevens were and are sitting on a Tile Floor. Ditto for when I purchased the Ones.

One day, I read on the forum about how the spikes might improve the sound, so I installed the spikes on both the Ones and Sevens. I might have detected some slight difference (improvement?) in sound. But the speakers were difficult to position with the spikes in place and I was concerned about damaging the spike holders in the Ones because, unlike the Sevens, I could not just pick the Ones up and move them. Sliding them on the spikes seemed to me to be a bad idea - not good for either the floor or the speakers.

I removed a spike from one of the Sevens and examined the threads. I rummaged in my parts bins and found a 1/4 x 20 bolt that appeared to have a similar thread. I tried the bolt and it fit perfectly. So, I decided to buy an assortment of round-head 1/4 x 20 bolts of different lengths, along with a bunch of 1/4" nuts to experiment with different lengths and with setting the front to back or back to front tilt to different angles to see what the effects would be on the sound.

I have reported on the results of my experiments in several posts in this forum.

Currently, I have both my Sevens and my Ones "reverse-tilted" - front higher than the back by over an inch. I like the sound dispersion this approach provides. The round-head bolts slide easily on the tile. they also have a minimum point of contact with the floor (tip of the round head), which mimics the point on the spike and which is supposed to be a factor in sound improvement from the spikes.

I thread the nuts on to the bolts before installing them into the speaker inserts. The nuts add stability to the bolts after they are screwed into the base of the speakers.

My suggestion is to buy an assortment of 1/4 x 20 round head bolts at Lowes or Home Depot, along with some nuts. Then , experiment with different bolt lengths and different tilt angles to see if you hear any sound improvement. You can put masking tape on the bolt heads if you are concerned about scratching your floors. My bolts leave no marks on my tile.

If you like the bolt results, then you can consider an investment in other elevating devices

I'm perfectly pleased with my bolts.

Best,

Art.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Rick,
I have read with interest the comments about changing from spikes to bolts. What caught my attention in the latest post by Art was the comment that he has the front higher than the rear. Interesting, cause I have read reviews where Sandy' helped the reviewer set up TOnes and T-reference speakers and they had the rear higher than the front so the speakers are aimed better at the listeners' ears.

My suggestion is to try them and decide what you like and stay with it.

Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi HTSME,

I am aware of Sandy's setup advice with regard to forward tilt of the Triton Series to point the speakers toward the listener. In my case, since it was so easy to experiment with my various bolt lengths, I decided to try a front to back tilt. I preferred the more indirect sound provided by this approach.

The nice thing about using the bolts is that various elevation approaches are relatively easy to explore.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)