file Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Hi Wayne,

Can you enlighten me as to the specific sonic improvement that is unique to the spikes - as opposed to the bolts I am using to elevate the speakers?

Thanks,

Art

I should stay out of this, but ... I believe Wayne is referring to the termination as a point with spikes. The pounds per square foot are maximized by the smallest possible interface (a point, in this case). This maximizes the coupling to the floor, which, presumably, is part of what we hear in tighter bass and improved overall transient performance with the use of spikes. Wayne, please correct me if I have misspoke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Thanks, Moderator, for chiming in. The round head bolts I am using also provide a point of contact, although not as small as the point on the spike. The speaker is sitting on the "point" of the round head - that is, the portion of the round head which is actually in contact with the floor.

I considered both round head and square head bolts. I chose the round head precisely because of the smaller contact surface, with a view toward better sliding on my tile floor. So much the better if I have also come close to replicating the small contact point of the spike.

In any event, it is my understanding that elevating the speakers provides sonic improvement, regardless of the contact surface. If the spike is much better because of the point, then GE's rubber feet with their broader contact surface area are perhaps inferior to my round head bolts.

Regards,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Correct on all counts Art.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Art, if you read back on this forum over the years, invariably you'll find that you and I agree on certain things, disagree on other things, but in the end "agree to disagree". :)

I'd like to personally extend a "bravo" to you. Honestly. You are just over 20 years my senior. Often I wonder if I'll ever make it to your age. And, at your age, to be be able to deal with purchasing, installing, inquiring about, and otherwise involving yourself with installing - lets call it "footing", regardless if this is rubber feet, spikes, standard hardware bolts, or something else - on your own and without the aid of another person is truly remarkable. I'm serious. Credit to your overall omnipresent involvement. Well done, and I sincerely hope the end result meets or exceeds your expectations. :cheer:
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Ha ha Bro Art,
I got your message last night, very late as I was just turning off the light, on my phone as the computer was already shut down.
I see you have already gotten some answers and feedback, great.
Of Course Moderator Dude, thanks to answer.
I was talking about the coupling, or in some cases, uncoupling that can, might happen with spikes.
Here is an interesting article, on either/or. For and against.
www.audiomisc.co.uk/cones/speak.html

To speak to your and Bro Rick's questions:
If you had carpet with concrete slab underneath, then I think this would be a no-brainer, a MUST to have the spikes. Since you don't then what you are doing may be fine. Heck, in some cases, like resonant wooden floors, rubber feet to deaden vibrations might be the MUST.
GEt wisely supplies both.
Whatever floats your boat.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi GDHAL Wayne, and All "Spike Heads"

Thanks for your compliments. I look back and wonder how I got to be this age myself. I just keep plugging along, doing whatever I can still manage.

I agree that, for anyone who is setting one of these large towers on any kind of carpet or rug, stability becomes more of a concern and spikes might be preferred. But, another possibility on carpet over hardwood might be square-head bolts to avoid damaging the hardwood with spikes.

If the carpet is especially thick, a longer stud might be preferable to provide stability plus elevating the base above the carpet to gain the sonic improvements.

These 1/4 x 20 bolts come in standard 1/2 inch increment lengths, but I expect that custom lengths might also be available through hardware specialty sources.

In any event, I am pleased with my approach. I have stability, elevation, point of contact, and ease of movement without inflicting damage to my tile surface.

If anyone has questions about my method, or needs further explanation or help with understanding what I have done, I'll respond to posts with questions. Otherwise, I don't believe that I have anything further to contribute to this topic.

Happy listening to all,

Art, the Elder
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)