file Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Well, the title pretty much says it all, but to elaborate slightly I was reading an old post on another forum about speaker spikes. I realized the last time I repositioned my Triton Ones, I took the spikes off. I think I intended to put them back on after settling on the position as a "final answer" but never did. I'll probably play with this either way but I'm curious what you all would do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 9 months ago
The speakers will sound better on the spikes.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Imahawki,

Long time no speak. Glad to see you back. I thought of you when the Hawkeyes beat the Wolverines! I bet that was fun to watch.

Conventional wisdom would concur with Moderator Dude, but I can tell you that I could not discern an appreciable difference between spikes, rubber feet, and nothing at all when positioned on my basement floor with carpet over concrete. It's difficult to perform an A to B comparison based on the effort and time required to swap between the options, but I truly could not hear a difference. This may be a biggest issue on a subfloor in order to isolate vibrations.

I will say that I prefer the spikes for stability. After I had my placement dialed in, I installed the spikes on the bases of my T1s. If I adjust my speaker positioning, the first thing I do is remove the spikes. Moving the T1s on carpet with the spikes is challenging to say the least. They are not that heavy, but it's just hard to find a solid hand hold.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Thanks mod.

Thanks T Cobe! Good to hear from you too. You're description is exactly why my spikes are currently removed. The Tritons are actually fairly easy to move across carpet with the spikes removed and almost impossible with them installed :) Living in the midwest, every stereo I've had has always been on a concrete floor and I've always used the provided spikes. I'm going to listen to some familiar tracks tonight and then install the spikes and listen some more. I can report back if I hear a difference.

Off topic but since you brought it up, yes the Michigan win was awesome, but being a Hawkeye living in Omaha, smoking the Bugeaters was awesome too!

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Mr. Moderator,

Regarding spikes on Triton Ones: Do spikes improve sound when the Ones are sitting on a basement concrete (or other hard surface) floor and when that floor is on a slab?

Seems to me that there might be differences when the speakers are sitting on any type of elevated flooring versus sitting on a slab.

Your comments?

Thanks,

Art

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Imahawki,

I was disappointed the Hawkeye's ranking was so slow to move up. They had a pretty decent season. I look forward to hearing back about the spikes.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)