file Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Mod, you mentioned creating an air gap under the speaker as well as coupling. I think there are taller, beefier after-market spikes that screw into standard spike "ports". Are those worth a try?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 9 months ago

imahawki wrote: Mod, you mentioned creating an air gap under the speaker as well as coupling. I think there are taller, beefier after-market spikes that screw into standard spike "ports". Are those worth a try?

Yes, there are ... for those paying close attention at trade show demos, they will notice Stillpoints under the big Triton Towers. Worth a try? Everything is worth trying ... worth buying is maybe the better question, which I can't answer, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, HTSME

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Do you know which models of Stillpoints you've used at trade shows?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 9 months ago
The Rubber Feet, Spikes and Locknuts that are included with the Triton Ones actually provide several different elevation levels. The lowest elevation level would be with just the Rubber Feet installed. This elevation can be increased by installing the Locknuts on to the Rubber Feet, then installing the combo on to the Triton One.

The next elevation level is achieved by just installing the Spike without the Locknut. Finally, the highest level is achieved by installing the Locknut on to the Spike, then installing the Spike on to the Triton.

All above assumes sitting the Triton One on a hard surface. Carpets or rugs change everything.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 9 months ago

imahawki wrote: Do you know which models of Stillpoints you've used at trade shows?

Sorry, no idea. They screwed into the same 1/4-20 threaded inserts the spikes go in to, they were a two-piece arrangement that allowed for levelling as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: add Triton Seven info info_outline
Here is some additional information from my just-completed spike installation on my Triton Ones. I carefully lowered each speaker to the floor, removed the factory-installed rubber feet, then installed the spikes with the locknut tightened all the way up on each spike. After spike installation, I carefully returned each speaker to the upright position. At this point, I do not have the discs installed on the bottom of the spikes.

I had no difficulties with this operation. My speakers are sitting on hard tiles. The tiles are sitting on my foundation slab. Moving the speakers around with the spikes installed did not leave any marks on my tiles.

I now heave the speakers elevated to maximum possible with the factory-supplied hardware. I am just beginning my listening comparisons, starting with several recordings by The Dave Brubeck Quartet to check out the acoustic bass sound. As I type this post, I am pleased with the tightness of the bass sound. I believe that there is less "muddiness" to the bass with the speakers increased decoupling from the floor.

Mechanically, the speakers are very stable sitting on the spike points without the discs. It is unlikely that I will add the discs.

I hope my experience and report will encourage other folks to install the spikes without having undue concerns about the process, the weight of the speakers, or instability issues.

I have also now installed the factory-supplied spikes on my Triton Sevens - again, no issues and possibly better sound.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)