file Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
T Cobe, I didn't consider my reply in this particular post because I didn't consider the spikes (or no spikes) to be an "acoustic treatment". Upon re-thinking it I'll concede the spikes could be considered an acoustic treatment.

And yes, I certainly do believe in and consider theoretical improvements, despite the fact I may never actually hear or see any difference.

As for the Triton Reference, I'll be contacting my dealer in a week or so once he has his own pricing. Honestly though it may be unrealistic for me at this point because I don't think - although this is yet to be determined - the trade in value will be high enough (if I go through the dealer, not necessarily if I try and sell privately).

I may just wait for the Triton reference + B) ;)

EDIT:

The changes I've made by adding the acoustic foam panels produce subtle results as far as I can hear. I haven't used any kind of measurement instrument before and after. But yes, I am relying upon the theoretical improvement they are purported to make.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 8 months ago

GDHAL wrote:

imahawki wrote: I think a few mm would be inconsequential. A lot of thought goes in to tweeter height for sure but the manufacturer has no idea how high your chair is or how tall you are. Also a lot can be solved with a slight tilt forward or back. A few degree told at the speaker can make a big difference 8-12+ feet away.

Thanks for the reply/opinion imahawki.

To date I have changed the footing on my Triton's to spikes. I cannot say I hear a difference, but admittedly, I knew any change would be rather subtle so it is hard to tell. I've also installed some acoustic foam in first reflection spots (side walls and ceiling) as well as bass traps. Suffice to say I'll live with the "theoretical improvements". ;)

As it turns out, in my case putting the spikes on raises the height about 1/4 inch and in my case that is welcomed because it raises the tweeter height to 42.5 inches (approx) which is even closer to my seated PLP ear height position.

Barring anything seriously out of wack, I would expect a subtle difference. For me, with carpet over concrete, I think my Triton's were just not as firmly "anchored" sitting on top of the carpet. But, to be honest, this is one of those changes that people debate. I'm not sure if there are any measurements showing before and after spikes are installed that would support a clearly audible difference or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, HTSME

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
My Triton Ones are mounted on their spikes and sitting on a tile-over-concrete floor, so I have "maximum elevation" per the design of the spike lengths. If you think that the elevation is improving the sound, you might consider placing a "platform" on the carpet, then putting the spiked Tritons on the platform. The platform should be thick enough to prevent any sinking into the carpet under the Triton load and wide enough to provide stability. My Triton Ones are very stable on the spikes on the tile.

PS: What is "The Triton Reference"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 8 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: My Triton Ones are mounted on their spikes and sitting on a tile-over-concrete floor, so I have "maximum elevation" per the design of the spike lengths. If you think that the elevation is improving the sound, you might consider placing a "platform" on the carpet, then putting the spiked Tritons on the platform. The platform should be thick enough to prevent any sinking into the carpet under the Triton load and wide enough to provide stability. My Triton Ones are very stable on the spikes on the tile.

I've known people to use such platforms (often slate or other stone tiles) over carpet but have never tried it myself.

The Triton Reference is the new speaker that was revealed at CES. It is an approximately $8500 per pair speaker positioned above the Triton One.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 8 months ago

imahawki wrote:

ArthurDaniels wrote: My Triton Ones are mounted on their spikes and sitting on a tile-over-concrete floor, so I have "maximum elevation" per the design of the spike lengths. If you think that the elevation is improving the sound, you might consider placing a "platform" on the carpet, then putting the spiked Tritons on the platform. The platform should be thick enough to prevent any sinking into the carpet under the Triton load and wide enough to provide stability. My Triton Ones are very stable on the spikes on the tile.

I've known people to use such platforms (often slate or other stone tiles) over carpet but have never tried it myself.

The Triton Reference is the new speaker that was revealed at CES. It is an approximately $8500 per pair speaker positioned above the Triton One.

Thanks. They must be something to be priced over 50% higher than a pair of Triton Ones. In any event, I will continue to enjoy my Ones.

Permit me a little "Roll Tide" for tonight's game.

Best,

Art

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Here is the thread on "SPIKES" that I remember.
Ahhh...to Spike or not to spike, that is the question.
To each their own.
I SPIKE!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Spikes or no spikes (carpet / pad over concrete)