file Tower placement from walls?

• The Jay's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 33
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
The Jay Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi, apologies if this has been posted elsewhere I searched here and over on AVS and couldn't find it...

What would you say is the ideal distance to place the Triton 2+ out from the corner of a room? This determines the size of projector screen I aim for. Now I'm curious about the ideal, but my room is 12'8" x 23'....so if you say "3 feet from the walls", well we need to tepid that with a dose of realism.

What have you found experimenting with different placements in this regard?
"Why don't you just play around with placement?"
Due to an injury my mobility is seriously hindered...doing so multiple times takes much longer than when I was able-bodied and movement = pain; so your advice/findings are greatly appreciated.
Upstairs: SuperCinema 3 (SVS SB-2000 though), Denon AVR E-400
Downstairs: Triton 2+, SCXXL, MPX's on the sides, HTR's up top, rears ?? Marantz SR7010, PB-2000
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi The Jay,
Good questions on this thread and the other one you just started.
For this one, I have always tried to keep my T 2s and now TOnes 2 1/2 ft to 3 feet away from side walls. Until recently, when I was just not getting the imaging everyone always talks about the GEt towers having. Against my better judgement I moved my towers apart, only about 18 inches or so from the side walls (width of my home theater similar to yours) and was worried about the side passive radiators, but when I toed in the speakers to where they are pointing basically at my face, that gave the side radiators more room to breath and low and behold, I got a MUCH improved sound.!!!! Now my system images much better, and my center SC X (not nearly as good as yours probably) fills in the middle perfectly. It all sounds great.
Move em apart, toe them in and I think you will love the result, I did.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi The Jay!

I'm pretty much with Wayne on this. I have a 14 ft wide room, and the speakers have evolved to 2 ft 8 inches from the side walls. They form an equilateral triangle with my listening position, and they are aimed at a point just behind my head. The imaging is spectacular. Toeing them in like that helps reduce the higher frequency energy hitting the side walls.

I don't think the exact position is critical. I think the equilateral triangle arrangement and toe in really did the most for the imaging.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Yup...i'm with Wayne too.
My room is 23 ft. long by 12.6 wide. My speakers are 12-14 in. from the side wall with good toe-in. The front of the speaker is 84 in. from the front wall (back of the speaker)
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 7 months ago
I'm with Wayne, Anthem, etc. Don't be concerned about proximity to the side walls - my Ones are about 15 inches from the side walls. Mine are toed in more than the others have mentioned. They point to a spot about 2 feet in front of my PLP.

Your physical limitations notwithstanding, you will need to experiment with various toe-in angles to find out what works best in your room.

If you are having difficulty moving the speakers and they are not elevated off the floor via spikes, ask someone to help you mount the spikes (or use the 1/4 x 20 round-head screws like I am using) to elevate the bases. The speakers are much easier to move when they are sitting on the spikes or, especially the screws.

The sweet spot for you can only be determined by you.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Stephen1254's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
Stephen1254 Posted 6 years 2 months ago
I've got a pair of Triton One's coming next week, and could use some clarification when people talk about the distance the speaker is placed from the side wall. I'm replacing a set of Triton Two's. Those speakers form an equilateral triangle with my listening position, and are toed in so that they aim just behind my head. When people talk about distance from side walls, are you measuring from the closest point (the back of the speaker) or the furthest point of the speaker (the front of the speaker) or an average of the two?

I will do plenty of experimenting with position, so I'm just looking for a starting point. I've got a theater room that is 14' wide, so I'm trying to determine if I should begin with the speakers closer to the listening position, i.e. further from the side walls, or as far apart as possible, i.e. closer to the side walls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Tower placement from walls?