file Tower placement from walls?

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 6 years 2 months ago

Stephen1254 wrote: I've got a pair of Triton One's coming next week, and could use some clarification when people talk about the distance the speaker is placed from the side wall. I'm replacing a set of Triton Two's. Those speakers form an equilateral triangle with my listening position, and are toed in so that they aim just behind my head. When people talk about distance from side walls, are you measuring from the closest point (the back of the speaker) or the furthest point of the speaker (the front of the speaker) or an average of the two?

Hi Stephen1254!

I have my TRefs in the same positions I had my TOnes. My room is about 15 feet wide by 19 feet long, and I also have an equilateral setup with the speakers toed in to point a little behind my head. Very similar to what you describe.

My TRefs are just under 4 feet from the front wall, and about 32 inches from the side walls.

Here's the tricky part. I measure these relative to the middle of the front speaker mounting plane, which is where the seam is between the speaker cabinet and front grille. I use the middle of that seam as my measuring point; I found that changes in position and toe made it difficult to use other places for measurement. When messing around with position I have put a small piece of masking tape there to make it easier to keep track of what I'm doing.

I have found that precise speaker position really helps with imaging. I am very careful to have the speaker to listener distances exactly the same (to within a centimeter). I think this is more critical than accuracy in placement relative to the walls. After all, you are sitting in the near field and side- and back-wall reflections are a relatively small effect. In my opinion.

Good luck and congratulations! The TOnes are excellent speakers, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun dialing them in.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, Stephen1254

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Hi Stephen and welcome here!
Congratulations on your new TOnes, I have a pair and I love em!!!!!
I started with mine in the same location as my T 2s, but I have moved them further and further apart, closer to the side walls than Charlie has his. I like the imaging better with them further apart.
Doesn't matter where to measure from, just be consistent so they are the same distance away from the walls on both sides.
Listening and trial and error is the key.
You are gonna love these speakers, well done!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, charliehatch, Stephen1254

• Stephen1254's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
Stephen1254 Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Thanks Charlie and Wayne, that was just what I was looking for,
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Hi Stephen,

I think that only you can determine the exact speaker placement for your listening environment. And, nothing can replace just listening. A couple of things to perhaps consider:

1. Are you the only "critical listener"? If not, do you need to compromise for best listening in more than one seating location?

2. What kinds of music do you prefer? Do different types of music affect your perception of "best sound"?

My last thought: Rather than fret about finding the best possible speaker placement, enjoy the fun of the chase. You might uncover something unexpected.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: I started with mine in the same location as my T 2s, but I have moved them further and further apart, closer to the side walls than Charlie has his. I like the imaging better with them further apart.

That makes sense, Wayne. I think that the wider apart the speakers get, the more angular resolution you get for imaging. I think it's more about that than distance to the side walls. I noticed a big difference in imaging quality going from a narrower placement to the equilateral I use today. Eventually, you may get so close to the sidewalls that the bass radiator may begin to have problems.

I guess we all need that 100 ft by 150 foot listening room!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Charlie,

I have moved my Ones to either side of the front of my room. The front edge of each speaker is about nine inches from the side wall. They are now about 12 feet apart, thus forming an approximate equilateral triangle relative to my PLP. They are toed in and point to the position of my head when I sit in my PLP.

I have been listening for a couple of days now and I believe I agree with you about improved imaging. I have not noticed any negative sound results from this re-positioning.

My Ones are likely to stay in this new position.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Tower placement from walls?