file Gaia Isolation Feet

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Just placed my order for 8 of the regular in brass. Found out the company is located in Texas, so delivery should be this week.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I'd be interested in any/all feedback about how the Herbies decoupling gliders work out.

The man who wrote the article, Jim Smith, is a well respected author and expert on sound quality. I have his "Get Better Sound" book, which has tips on all sorts of ways to maximize sound quality via speaker placement, room treatments, component break in, on and on. I.E. adapt your system to the room, don't fight the room. Great book (unfortunately now out of print I guess and $85 on Amazon).

It sounds like the Herbies may do similar things with spikes that Gaia's do, which is to decouple the speaker, and stabilize it's cabinet to avoid sound smearing, with resulting deep rich bass and better more natural sound in the whole frequency range. The Gaia's do that. If the Herbies do that also, I'd probably convert the surround T1's to spikes/Herbies. Not planning to change my Gaia II's on the front T Ref's. Love what they do as is.

All results/feedback welcome.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, WashedUpAudio

• FMaximus's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 13
FMaximus Posted 5 years 7 months ago
Ok, got the Herbies today and yes, for me, there was an immediate and positive improvement in bass detail but also midrange. Very happy with these! Listened to some of my usual suspects over usb and ethernet to my PS Audio DSJ:

Blue Collar - BTO
Walking in the graveyard - Jimmy Rip and the Trip
Space cadet - John Garcia
Birdcage - Sophia Pfister
Push on thru - Salmonella Dub
Vincent price blues - ZZ Top

Always good to find a reasonably priced tweak that works
Auralic Vega G2 ➡️ Plinius RA-150 ➡️ Goldenear Triton One.R
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, WashedUpAudio

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 7 months ago
Hey, Fmaximus

That’s a pretty serious power cord I see also feeding the Triton.

Just curious, what is it? Looks beefy, maybe 8 gauge? Similar style to the AntiCable Reference 3’s which I have on two of my Triton towers.

Nice set up!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• FMaximus's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 13
FMaximus Posted 5 years 7 months ago
Hi Rick,

they are Lessloss Signature. I bought them a few years back. At the time i inquired of the owner Louis Motek as to whether his cables could be terminated in plugs that would work down here in NZ. He was very helpful and made me an offer i could not refuse!

www.lessloss.com/dfpc-series-p-213.html#sig

I understand his new C-Marc cables are even better but after replacing amps, DAC and pre in the last 6 months i need to focus on listening to some music and saving up some $$$$$ B)
Auralic Vega G2 ➡️ Plinius RA-150 ➡️ Goldenear Triton One.R
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• WashedUpAudio's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
WashedUpAudio Posted 5 years 6 months ago
I have a carpeted wooden floor with carpet underlay and have tried the standard rubber feet, supplied carpet spikes, ArthurDaniels sensible 'Home Depot Round-head bolt solution' (great test for different speaker hights and angles) and have come to the conclusion that my T1's sound worse the higher and more isolated from the ground I go in my 3.5m x 7m living room. I loose bass and cohesion with a lighter and weaker speaker energy. Turning up the Subs from 9.45am to 11am just sounded more dense not open and free. I guess Im used to the rooms sound from before but the higher I got the T1's the worse they sounded. Even with alot of custom bolt mod designs. Sadly. I also got no improvement after trying new speaker placements in the room, cable swaps (for expected sound changes I already know, to gauge relative diff with the hight raised), projection angles (hight changes front to rear), all failed to improve the sound.
I DID GET BETTER SOUND when I placed 50mm x 10mm rubber squares from Bunnings NZ (same density as the GE standard rubber feet) under each GE supplied standard rubber foot, raising the speaker completely off the surface of the carpet by 10mm. It seems to me that by getting the speakers big flat surface slab of wood off the carpet it tightens and defines the music a noticeable amount. Minor but definite. Really, the height above the floor is just the same as T1'S on a hard floor on rubber feet, it is raised a little. It is noticed with busy or dense music above the carpet. It has more space in the mids from my system and a more refined bass. Like i can hear more detail in the bass and the mids are more uncluttered(?). My music also sounds a tad more 3d. That 3d imaging is diminished when I move the t1's into the room more at the same angle which for me is having the inside speaker panel at right angles to the wall behind them. Tiny toe in. They are both only 400mm from each corner and back wall. The speakers are not as stable as before and will wobble left to right slightly more if bumped as they are isolated now onto 4 areas of carpet (per speaker) which is spongy.

So, after many hours of testing just short of OCD I have to say that if on carpet - maybe just isolate the load points with the standard feet onto 'isolation' pads (firm rubber squares), I mean, just get the speaker base plate off the ground just a little. I cannot justify Gaia II footers as I don't believe I'd get better sound on T1's more than the minor isolation improvements made from raising speakers from the carpet surface. I want a Gaia II type improvement in sound to be effective as they at least look cool. I will instead continue to save for a better renderer. I really hear more changes when room treatments are moved slightly than the positive effect from speaker isolation feet improvements in my room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Gaia Isolation Feet