• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Finally got the GAIA II's installed on the T Ref's, replacing the original rubber feet.. Didn't try spikes first because of concerns about damaging the wood floor they're sitting on and degree of difficulty moving them later.

So these comments pertain to what the GAIA's do for SQ on Ref's on wood floors vs. rubber feet, and I can't comment on what any comparison to spikes might be in this case. (Though Marty, in an earlier post on this thread, said they provided an uptick vs. spikes on his tile floor).

I had settled in to do more serious listening this afternoon, but a thunderstorm moving through put a delay on that... system is unplugged for now.

So, first impressions:

I played some familiar songs in stereo pure direct after installing, including Clapton's unplugged Tears in Heaven. Bass is a little deeper, reaches a little lower, sounds even cleaner. Acoustic guitar sounds a tad more real, "in the room". No discernible shift in tonality, just everything a little more detailed, real sounding. Bass on 2.0 music IS noticeably deeper, may end up turning down the bass dials on the Ref's a little, but kind of like how it sounds now.

I was just getting into watching and listening to some Blu-ray stuff when the thunderstorm arrived, but what I've heard so far suggests that the bass and LFE blossomed some in surround .1 also.

So far, I'm impressed. :) I'll do more listening, comment later if there's anything to add. Just thinking about doing the same for the surround T1's... that's for a later date.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pitkow33, WayneWilmeth, Kruno1960

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pitkow33's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 39
Pitkow33 Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Thank you and looking forward to more of your thoughts!
Mac Mini Server (2012 version) w/ Roon Server -> Naim Nova -> NAC A5 Speaker Cable -> Goldenear Triton 2s
Airtunes -> Naim Nova for convenience, Tidal, Spotify via Roon or Naim App
UpTone Audio LPS 2 Power Supply, PS Audio Dectet
GAIA II feet for Triton 2s
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Thanks for the report Rick, looking forward to any more updates, feedback, etc.
A coupla questions if I may.
So 2 sets of these set you back in the neighborhood of $600? How do you feel they are worth that investment?
Do they make the speakers too tall? Change the level of the speakers enough that you feel the need to move your seat UP?
Or did you tilt the speakers when installing them?
I don't have any idea whether the TRefs are prone to differences in the listening experience based on what level you are seated in ref to their HVFR. But that would be a concern to me.
Would love to hear them, I mean, to hear more!!!!
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• fuadkamel's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 27
fuadkamel Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Can they improve the sound of my Tref’s if my room is fully carpeted?
Thanx
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 11 months ago
OK Guys -- As you consider expensive rubber feet for your Triton Series speakers, please be reminded about my very inexpensive alternative of using 1/4 x 20 bolts and nuts. For less than five dollars, you can purchase and install a variety of bolt lengths to try out various elevations, tilts, etc.

As for rubber feet, I don't need them because my Ones sit on tile flooring. But, if I wanted rubber feet, I'll bet I could find some rubber items at Home Depot to fit over the ends of my bolts.

If you want to evaluate the effects of lifting or tilting your speakers before making an expensive investment in specialty feet, go buy some bolts and screw them in to the bottom of your speaker platforms. If you like the results, then you can consider the expensive alternatives.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 11 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Thanks for the report Rick, looking forward to any more updates, feedback, etc.
A coupla questions if I may.
So 2 sets of these set you back in the neighborhood of $600? How do you feel they are worth that investment?
Do they make the speakers too tall? Change the level of the speakers enough that you feel the need to move your seat UP?
Or did you tilt the speakers when installing them?
I don't have any idea whether the TRefs are prone to differences in the listening experience based on what level you are seated in ref to their HVFR. But that would be a concern to me.
Would love to hear them, I mean, to hear more!!!!
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne

Hi, Wayne

Yes, the GAIA's were $600 for 2 sets, and got them via Amazon... good ol' Amazon and 2 day shipping. Are they worth it? I would say yes. They provide an uptick in listening enjoyment/SQ on a par with upgrades to power cords, speaker cables, interconnects. And in the case of the GAIA's, the improvement in bass especially is in my case probably better than any other single upgrade I've made to the above. Deeper, cleaner bass.

Re the height of speaker question, the stock rubber feet brought the speakers up about 1/2" from floor level, and that put the tweeters right at my ear level in the listening position. The GAIA's bring the speakers up another 1 1/2", so, yes, I gave the speakers a slight back to front tilt to keep the tweeters pointed at ear level. There's a fair amount of adjustment room with the isolators to have lots of latitude on degree of tilting.

I haven't made any decision yet about whether there would be enough bang for the buck to do the same for the surround T1's. I'll listen and enjoy for awhile and put that decision in the "maybe someday" category for now.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Kruno1960

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Gaia Isolation Feet