file Re: How much and what type of amp??

• geezerrocket's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
geezerrocket Posted 13 years 3 months ago
I guess this question is directed at owners of the Triton Towers; What kind of amplification are you guy's using? Specifically - S.E.T., push/pull tube, muscle solid state, etc.... I live in Northwest Minnesota and plan to make the 400 mile round trip to Stereoland in Eden Prarie (Minneapolis metro) to hear the Triton Towers. I have a variety of amps that I could bring to include Pass X-250, Hafler dh 500, a vintage and completely modded Fisher 400 (28 wpc), a pair of Adcom 5300's and many more. I only want to bring a couple. What do these things respond best to? I read the specs and see they are 91db but that tells very little, as other factors like impedence plots, phase angles etc... would be more useful in determining how "power hungry" a speaker may be. If these things turn out to be what I hope for, then I could sell the Pass X-250 and damm near buy them with the cash from that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 13 years 3 months ago
I'll chime in first but hopefully others will participate too. Sandy uses a 12 watt S.E.T. amp with his Tritons. We used the big Pass amps at the past two trade show demos. Both setups sounded silky suite and dynamic. The Tritons are ridiculously efficient for a high-performance audiophile loudspeaker simply because the majority of the power needs are handled internally. Phase angles and impedance curves are quite neutral as well since you aren't driving the bass section, making them a very easy non-interactive load to drive.

• wawaron's Avatar Offline
wawaron Posted 13 years 3 months ago
Hi, I've owned the Triton Twos for about 2 months and I run them with an Anthem MRX 700, 120 watts/ ch in stereo and 90 watts/ ch in surround 5.1. The sound is nothing short of amazing in both configurations. They are efficient and easy to drive. I like listening to music loud and surround movies even louder, like to feel the bass, no problem. They are powered speakers they have built in digital amps 1200 watts/ch so your amp or receiver just as to drive the mids and tweeters.
Bring the amp you like best, that produces the best sound to audition the speakers. I drove to Montreal Quebec to audition these speakers that is a 2300 km trip and I'm not sorry I did. Been enjoying the Triton Twos ever since.
Good shopping and good listening. Hope you have a truck because the Tritons Twos are extremely well packaged. The boxes are close to 6 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet.

• kmp14's Avatar Offline
kmp14 Posted 13 years 2 months ago
I drive my new Tritons with s a Denon 3808Ci. Definitely not like the higher-end amps being mentioned. I am not a full-on audiophile, but I can tell you that the Denon drives them nicely, and they sound sweet!

• wawaron's Avatar Offline
wawaron Posted 13 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by wawaron. info_outline
Geezerrocket, Bring the amp that sounds the best to you. You could also decide to go with 1 tube and 1 solid state amp, the choice is yours. Just listen to the speakers with an amp you like and are familiar with the sound. Do it.

• boleary3's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 16
boleary3 Posted 12 years 11 months ago
First, I have about 50 hours on my Triton's and they sound wonderful. Though for most of us they are not cheap, they are an incredible bargain in the audiophile world. I never thought I would be able to afford this level of sound quality. Thank you.

I have run the speakers with two amps: an Odysee Stratos Plus (75 Watts per channel) and a modified (V-Caps, power supply) Dynaco SCA 35 (17.5 Watts per channel). Listening with the Triton's, I now know, definitively, just how great V-Caps sound. The Odysee will soon be listed on Audiogon.

Again, thanks for putting such great sound within my reach.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Re: How much and what type of amp??