file Re: How much and what type of amp??

• odedia's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
odedia Posted 11 years 8 months ago
How will the emotiva upa700 handle the triton two cinema? It is a 80x7 amp... Would I get a considerable boost if I get the xpa-5 instead? Those are listed at 200watts. Or maybe there's a receiver that's good enough where the amp is not very beneficial anymore? I need to upgrade the avr anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Any or all would be great. More power is always better (and more fun), but they are easy to drive - and benefit greatly from better sounding electronics.

• Dave's Avatar Offline
Dave Posted 11 years 8 months ago
I use a Denon 4311 to drive my Tritons, I used to have a ATI 2002 connected to the LR but removed it as it didn't make any difference in sound.
Denon 4311, OPPO 205, Lumin D2 Network Streamer, Sony 65" OLED, GE Triton 2, GE Super Sat 50/50, GE Super Sat 3C, All cables Blue Jean.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
pltan75 Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by pltan75. info_outline
I use the XPA-5 to run my Triton Two Cinema and AON rear setup. Works great, powers all the speakers amazingly well...I was using just a Marantz 5005 (rated at 100w per channel I believe) before getting the Emotiva.

If you're considering the UPA , one thing you should note is that Emotiva recommends that all channels in the amp be used....

But in answer to your first question you'll definitely notice a big difference with 200w vs 80.

• odedia's Avatar Offline
odedia Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Thanks for the input! Just to be clear - what you mean is that the UPA line is probably better for home theater only while the XPA is good for stereo and surround as well? I will play a lot of stereo music ofcourse.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
pltan75 Posted 11 years 8 months ago
No , sorry I was a bit vague there.

Basically I was told both from users of Emotiva products and from their support themselves that it's best to connect a speaker to every available channel to the amp , as it's better in the long run. I have the XPA-5 and at one point I was considering only running the triton two's and the SS50C through that, and using the Marantz to power the remaining two AON's in my 5.1 system. Emotiva support said that while doing this temporarily would be ok, it's better for the long-term life of the amp to hook up all 5 to the XPA.

Wasn't sure how many speakers you were planning to power with the XPA which has 5, versus 7 channels for the UPA.

Hope that helps. :)

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Re: How much and what type of amp??