file Re: How much and what type of amp??

• odedia's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
odedia Posted 11 years 8 months ago
It's very helpful, thank you very much.

Just one more clarification though, if I were to setup the triton two cinema 5 speakers package, I would still (50% of the time) only use the main two for music. Does this make a difference in the recommendation? Center and surrounds will be connected but not utilised except for movies. Do the other 3 amps work even though they don't pump any sound to the speakers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
pltan75 Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by pltan75. info_outline
Hmm.....I think that is a question best asked to Emotiva, I can't answer that with 100% confidence. I do a lot of stereo listening as well with my setup.

Edit: this is my email to Emotiva and their response, my guess is with his reference to hooking up zone two, 5 speakers with just 2 running in stereo would be just fine.

Hello Pek, if you do run the XPA-5 with 3 channels temporarily there is not harm to it. I would recommend running the remaining channels either with surrounds or at least perhaps a zone 2 solution.
Thank you for your support.

Vincent Chen
Technical Support
Emotiva Audio Corporation

www.emotiva.com

PRIVACY NOTICE:
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:08 AM
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: XPA-5 Question

Hello,

I am currently an owner of an XPA-5 and I am only using it to run 3 channels, i.e. front, left and centre. I've recently read on a forum that the XPA-5 should be used to power all 5 channels as using less than this will be at detriment to the amp. Can you please advise? Thank you so much.

Thank you and Kind Regards,
Pek

• PBD's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
PBD Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Hi,
This question is mainly directed towards the moderator but if anyone else has expeience powering the Triton 2s with Pass Labs amps or lower powered amps (<100wpc) please feel free to comment. I've owned the Triton 2s for around a year now and absolutely love them. I am making the move to separates and looking at Pass Labs amps. Which Pass Labs amps has Goldenear used with the Triton 2s at trade shows? The reason I ask is I am considering the XA60.5, XA100.5 and X350.5. Given the effieciency of the T2s will the XA60.5 be powerful enough to reach fairly high volume levels and make the T2s sound their best? If not, would the XA100.5 or X350.5 be better?
Thanks,
Patrick

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Hi,
We used both the 60.5 and the 100.5, both are absolutely fantastic (and Sandy's favorites for all show demos). From what I heard, the 60.5 certainly seemed to have plenty of power in our demo rooms to drive the Twos to good volume levels.

• PBD's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
PBD Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that you had great results with the 60.5. Based on your input, it sounds like it will be worth it to demo the 60.5 first. Hopefully that will be the magic combination. Do you recall if the 60.5 ever left class a operation when it was powering the T2s?

Thanks again,
Patrick

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 8 months ago
passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/xa.5_specs.pdf

Here's some info from their website... we didn't watch the meters so I have no idea how close we got to the threshold. Always sounded great regardless of level.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Re: How much and what type of amp??