file Re: How much and what type of amp??

• PBD's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
PBD Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Thanks for the link. I'll let you know what I decide but it will likely be the 60.5.

Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Viktor's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
Viktor Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Here is a question for the Moderator and "Fresh Boarder", as well as anyone who experienced the Pass Labs amps with the GE Triton Reference (or Triton One)...
I have more or less the same question/dilemma as "Fresh Boarder" as to which Pass Labs amp to drive a pair of Triton Reference speakers I intend to buy... The room in question is a media room of 15X16ft, distance from speakers to main sitting area is around 10-12ft. I would like to use the Tritons for both music listening and home theater purposes. I will probably drive the surrounds with an ATI 4007 (200W/ch). I would like the Tritons to really shine with music, but also be adequate as a quality home theater front L/R channel. I would love to have a pair of the pure Class A XA-60.8 mono blocks. But I am not sure if that will be adequate for home theater sound levels (not crazy loud per se). I cannot afford to jump to the XA-100.8s price level. So the possible alternative for me would be the Pass Labs X-250.8 which is rated 250W/ch at 8 Ohms and apparently runs in Class A up to 25W and Class AB beyond that. Reviews I read indicate it sounds sounds similar (or pretty close) to the XA-60.8. What would be your recommendation/comments to help me with this decison? Thanks!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi Viktor,

Wow, it's not often we have to (get to?) choose between amps that are both terrific! The X250.8 will certainly have the edge on power and explosive dynamics in movies even when it's already loud. It will likely run a bit cooler than the XA60.8 amps if that's a concern. Based on your system and usage, the X250.8 might be the better choice and will sound fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Re: How much and what type of amp??