file What do you consider "Timeless" music????

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Fellow GoldenEar Dudes, since we are probably all joined by at least one thing, the love of music, Anthem and Dave@get and SanthoshEapen over on the Currently playing thread got me thinking.
There is a LOT of music I really like, or Love, we say. There is a lot of music that I used to play over and over, was really crazy about, but these days does not blow my skirt up so much. I still like it, for the most part, but not as much as before. I played Supertramp and the Eagles until the record grooves were worn out. Now, not often at all.
What are your favorite songs, CDs, or artists that you feel have not gone out of style, out of date, that still do it for you after a long time? What do you never get tired of listening to?
I would expect a lot of classical music in the answers to this. And that is great.
But I will kick it off with and artist and a group that still do it for me after all these years, and I cannot see their music losing its lustre for me in the near future.
Bob Marley (all the songs I know of his anyway)
Pink Floyd (everything since DSOTM)
Dire Straits (all the hits and then some)

Anybody?
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SanthoshEapen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Here's a few off the top of my head:

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Black Sabbath - Iron Man
Kiss - Rock & Roll all Night
Foreigner - Hot Blooded
Eagles - Lying Eyes, Desperado, Hotel California
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Takin' Care of Business, Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Journey - Don't Stop Believin', Wheel in the Sky
Eddie Money - Two Tickets to Paradise
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever - Stranglehold
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, SanthoshEapen

• Visitor
  • Visitor
dave@get Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Wow, good one to get me a-thinkin'...

In the classical world it's almost like shooting fish in a barrel... where do you start? Bach's Brandenburg Concertos? Vivaldi's Water Music? Pachelbel's Canon & Gigue? Holst's Planets? Beethoven's Ninth? Yep, all of them and many more to be remembered going forward.

In the pop/rock world world, let me ponder that a bit.

Going back in time to big band in the jazz world (arguably the pop & rock and roll of its day), I'll start with just a few... "In the Mood," "Misty," "Shiny Stockings," "Perfidia" and One "O'Clock Jump."

Jazz, "Take Five" is the first to come to mind.

R&B/Soul, "What's Going On" and, well, probably 100 more Motown songs. "Cloud Nine," anyone? "Scorpio" by Dennis Coffey, with Babbit's near-legendary bass solo. "That Lady" by the Isley Brothers from '3+3' (and its original version called "Who's That Lady" also by the Isleys in the '60s).

Surf world, "Walk, Don't Run" & "Pipeline" immediately come to me. "Hawaii Five-O," too.

I'll check back later with some more in each genre. Meantime, from the selections I've read here you guys like rock and roll as much as I do. Has everybody heard PT's latest album, called "Can Do"? It's great. He also recorded a concert at the Bamboo Room last December that featured Mars Cowling and Nicko McBrain (his original trio) on the last couple tunes and his current (outstanding) band on the rest. If you like live stuff it's great and you know you're in for a ride when it starts with PT saying, during the musical intro, "How you doin' everybody? My name is Pat Travers... this is my band & we're gonna kick your a$$ tonight. Whaddaya think? Ready... 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4..." and then goes right into a great version of "Life in London." And it's off from there...

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Good thread, Wayne. Brings back a lot of ancient memories.

I remember going to grandpa & grandma's in Michigan for Christmas. I always had a transistor radio in hand. One song that captivated me more than in other was Blood, Sweat & Tears - Spinning Wheel. Would literally stay by the radio all day just to hear that song.

Another song I couldn't get enough of Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson & Clover.

The Grassroots (wore the 8-track out)

The Monkees - Hey hey, we are the Monkees

Paul Revere & the Raiders - Indian

Beatles - Let it Be, Hey Jude
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Besides individual songs there are many albums that are classic. Albums that you cannot just listen to a few songs, they just beg to listen to the entire album. Below are some of the Albums I consider clasic
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Boston - Boston (I'm surprised I did not ware out the grooves on the record when I was young)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zeppelin - There are many. However, IV and Houses of the Holy come to mind
Rush - 2112
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

What are some of the albums that you cannot just listen to a few songs you must listen to the entire album?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Thanks Guys,
Lots to agree with there. MOBrien, I will have to try that Rush, I have wanted to know where to start with them for a long time.
Thanks everybody, keep em coming,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming What do you consider "Timeless" music????