file What do you consider "Timeless" music????

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 11 years 1 week ago
Dave: Midland Michigan
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
dave@get Posted 11 years 1 week ago
Anthem: Cool! I went to Alma College, 30-ish miles WSW of Midland. I'm originally from downstate (10 Mile & Woodward area). So, now you know there'll be no apologies when I shamelessly promote Michigan music, like what's gonna happen in my next post.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
dave@get Posted 11 years 1 week ago
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by dave@get. Reason: Line spacing info_outline
OK, so no apologies, here's a shameless plug for some great Detroit rock and roll that, yes, I think is timeless. While I enjoy cover tunes, rarely do they shed much light and define the tune in a new or different way. But these two are different...

"Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac as covered by the Rockets

and "Rock and Roll" by Lou Reed as covered by Detroit

Reed has even said that he liked this cover of "Rock and Roll" better than his original. I guess it's no surprise that he took Steve Hunter (guitar) out on the road with him for the tour that recorded 'Rock and Roll Animal.'

Anyone remember the Rockets? They reformed (sort of) a few years back, calling themselves the Hell Drivers. Jim McCarty and John Badanjek are still there but new bass player Marvin Conrad and singer Jim Edwards fill things out nicely (of course, both are Detroiters). Here's a youtube video of them covering "Oh Well." In a bar. Yes, this is the power and ferocity of Detroit rock and roll bands. Again, in a bar.

There's only one Hell Drivers CD release, a live record. Take a look at the song list here (& you can buy it, too!):

www.amazon.com/Live-From-Detroit-Hell-Dr...eywords=hell+drivers

You'll see covers of the Rockets, Iggy & the Stooges, Detroit, the Detroit Wheels and classic R&B. McCarty and Badanjek were original members of the Detroit Wheels with Mitch Ryder. That band, as well as many at the time, performed a lot of covers. But this was true blue-eyed Soul. When the Wheels broke up, Badanjek went on to Detroit with Mitch Ryder while McCarty went on to Buddy Miles Express, then to Cactus. Marvin Conrad is a stellar local Detroit bass player who worked with McCarty in a blues band called Mystery Train. Jim Edwards was the singer for a (sadly) unknown Detroit band called See Dick Run.

And a blast from the past:

Fortunately the albums sound much better than this video, but it's fun to watch because they were so young here!

Sorry for the wordiness but I feel I should at least explain some of my choices, shed some light on them, and hopefully make you feel there is at least a little method to my madness!

Dave

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 1 week ago
Thanks Dave for those good recommendations and comments. I did not know any of that, never heard of any of those guys.
Good stuff.
Thanks, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave@get

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 11 years 1 week ago
Thanks Dave:

Especially enjoyed Mitch Ryder & Detroit - Rock 'n' Roll video
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave@get

• SanthoshEapen's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 172
SanthoshEapen Posted 11 years 1 week ago
Here is one (I happen to be listening to it right now):
Eric Clapton's Unplugged. The guitar work is mesmerizing.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming What do you consider "Timeless" music????