file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
The Bastard Executioner premiered this last week on FX. This new series was created by the same gentleman that brought us Sons of Anarchy. Obviously this is a significant departure from that genre while there is still the same level of violence and sexual content though the language is much more eloquent.

The cast and production value are top notch. The sets are elaborate and convincing at transporting you to Wales in the 14th century. The acting is solid, particularly the villains. The script is well written with rapid fire delivery of flowery language. It seems to parallel Braveheart a bit but vengeance is served in the first episode. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

PQ and SQ are what one would expect for a satellite television program: nothing special. Despite mediocre sound and picture quality, I certainly recommend this new series. Be warned, this is not a family program.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Thanks T. Cobe,
Maybe when it has been out a few seasons and I can buy it on disc.
I am watching "The Living Dead" right now, kinda grosses me out, but it is some good too.
Also, not for kids.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
I have watched a few good movies over the last few months but failed to post here. All of these movies have ratings above 85% and are not meant to be the best video and audio example out there (except Mad Max), but instead, are meant to be good movie in and of themselves, regardless of video and audio quality. In other words, good stories or good scripts.

* What We Do in the Shadows - 2014. It's a comedic drama, it's funny, it's different.
* Wild Tales - 2015. Six short stories, and if you like that sort of thing, which I do, this one is fun and good
* Mad Max Fury Road - 2015. Very good video and audio, very entertaining. The wife thought it was weird.
* Gone Girl - 2014. I haven't seen it, but the wife would watch it again, which means that it's probably really really good.
* Ex Machina - 2015. Not the best video picture, but good sound, and pretty entertaining different approach on AI.

TV shows: True Detective Season 1. This is fantastic. You can find this in HD. Season 2 isn't bad, but not quite as good as Season 1
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Murphyslaw1978,

Completely agree on Mad Max, Gone Girl, Ex Machina, and True Detective season 1 & 2. I have not seen the first two recommendations. True Detective season 1 would probably be my favorite on the list. It was fantastic, as you say. I didn't find season 2 as good either but still entertaining. It probably would have been better if season one hadn't set the bar so high. Gone Girl was good but pretty twisted. Thanks for the recommendations!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by anthem. info_outline
This afternoon I had the opportunity to watch Hot Pursuit - starring Reese Witherspoon & Sofia Vergara. It's the story of an upright and by-the-book cop who tries to protect the outgoing widow of a drug boss as they race through Texas pursued by crooked cops and murderous gunmen.

I had somewhat high expectations going into this one, but after a very brief time, my dreams of great entertainment slipped away. This flick is a Loser...Dumb just Dumb.

For what it's worth, the PQ & SQ was good...rating 1 SMALL STAR.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Anthem,

Two hours with Reese Witherspoon and Sofia Vergara can't be all bad, even if the movie is terrible. ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?