file Currently playing

• SanthoshEapen's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 172
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
SanthoshEapen Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
This Friday evening am listening to this frightening real Beatles Remaster for Cirque du Soleil
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Most all of this stuff I have never heard of guys.
GREAT
Keep em comin
I am going back home now, to the land of smiles and hopefully some tunes too.
Will keep up when and if I can.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Wayne:

Is contemporary/smooth Jazz foreign in Thailand? Can you walk into Bangkok stores and purchase bands such as Jeff Golub, Larry Carlton, Foreplay etc.?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Holy Moly, Brother Anthem, did you step in it this time!!!
You asked a good question and I have time to be expansive, as I am stuck in the Bangkok airport for 4 hours before my next flight home.
Yes, Smooth Jazz is foreign music in Thailand, it is not Thai. Can I go into a store in Bangkok and buy those you mentioned? I don’t know, I never heard of any of them except Larry Carlton a little bit, and never heard of Smooth Jazz before you started this post. I ran into that term when I was looking up your musical recommendations. But that is like asking you if you can walk into a Chicago store and buy, etc? I live 6 hours from Bangkok, and they probably don’t have much music I would like (might get lucky and find Coldplay, but not Foreplay), so I always buy from Amazon.
Your kind of music is totally foreign to me. It ain’t what I call rock and roll. Or Blues. I can listen to some classical, folk, country, alternative, etc. But I never understood Jazz. I respect it, and any music, I am in awe of musicians!!!!
My GE distributor over here is a great guy and he is in a band. And they might play your kind of music, I am sure some people over here do like it, I don’t know (he sends me files of Diana Krall, wants me to listen—arrrgghhhh). There is a Jazz club in Bangkok, I went one night.
But for 60 years I never “got” Jazz. Then one night I went into a club in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Viet Nam, called Sax and Art. And the owner and performer is a VN musical legend, Tran M Tuan. He plays every kind of sax, has a band, I sat right in front of him, 6 feet away, and listened for hours, mesmerized. He had lots of guest artists join him on stage, they improvised and took turns with solos, and it was wonderful and I “GOT” it. I felt like I understood Jazz, finally.
It still is not my kind of music, I bought one of his CDs, and tried to listen to it several times, he is a great musician, but it is just does nothing for me.
So I guess we are back to the old saying, “different strokes for different folks.”
But keep trying to educate me.
Thanks, I hope you are not sorry you asked, God Bless,
Wayne

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SanthoshEapen,
I never heard of that one, you said it is frightening real, do you mean that it is a really good sounding remaster of the Beatle's songs? Is it them playing, singing, or someone else covering their songs?
I LOVE the Beatles, but most of their CDs do not sound all that good.
Thanks for your recommendations,
God Bless,Wayne

• Visitor
  • Visitor
dave@get Posted 11 years 2 weeks ago
Try the Beatles Mono and Stereo box sets. So far they're as close to a good remastering of the original albums as I've heard.

Mono box info:
www.allmusic.com/album/the-beatles-mono-box-set-mw0000819912

Stereo box info:
www.allmusic.com/album/the-beatles-stereo-box-set-mw0000819905

OK, the hard part here is that you really need both sets to fully appreciate. The mono & stereo albums weren't just different mixes, they were often different takes, so the performances are slightly different between the mono & stereo versions of the same album.

"Love" is the Beatles, but it's essentially a remix album done by George Martin's son Giles & his father, designed as a soundtrack for a resident Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas called "Love." Remixing here & there, pasting some songs together and removing instruments in some places leaving only voice, etc. What they've done to the music is not my cup of tea, but ymmv. Regardless, it's not the place to start if you're looking for the Beatles songs/albums you know & love in better sounding versions, as these are different.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back