file Currently playing

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Dear Bro Anthem,
It is great that someone would be so kind to let you hear his cool system.
I think you are really onto something here on the tube amps.
And you could not have better speakers to try them with, as the Tritons are efficient enough they don't need much power coming in, and as long as a decent bass signal comes to them, they will goose it on up there power wise to have plenty of bass too. Tautness in the bass region is something you will have to watch for, some tubes get flabby down there. And flabby in will mean more flabby out.
I had old McIntosh 275 mono-block amps for a number of years with Magneplaners. Treble and mids were fine but you know I like my bass. When I sold them, they went straight to Japan and the guy who bought them from me paid me more than they originally went for. He probably got several times that.
Bel Canto left tube amps behind to go with some very good Class D amps, and now are in the nose-bleed price section of audio. I thought this was the ticket, but am not quite satisfied with what I have from them. One of their men has helped me upgrade my BC amp and repair it and he also seems to not be so convinced that BC went the right way leaving tube amps. But my Apogee Stages needed POWER, so tubes were not really in the cards.
One of the main reasons I went with the Tritons (2 & 3) is to be able to run them with tubes. They sound remarkably like ribbon speakers, wide open and REAL sounding, and I cannot hear a boxy coloration at all. I find that my 45 wpc Triode TRV-88SE powers the T3s fine and sounds great at normal levels, vocals, intimate settings, small groups, chamber music, folk, etc. It does not cut it for home theater nor for full scale orchestral music, for me.
For the T2s I am auditioning hybrid designs, the Vincent SV-800 in full Class A sounded great (I just cannot work in an integrated amp into my home theater), the Vincent SP-T100 monos sounded really good. I am just wrangling to try and audition the Vincent SP-T800 monos, as they are very highly recommended/reviewed, have tons of power, but should have a sweet tube sound as well. If they best the 100s at all, I will buy the 800s.
I hope these thoughts help.
Enjoy, I know you will,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Hey Wayne: I forgot to mention that the mono block amps David was using to drive his Bozak speakers were rated at 35 watts. I don't know what the efficiency of the Bozaks are but from what I heard the McIntosh amps drove them to very satisfying loudness levels. David said when he does listen it's generally at loud listening levels, I did notice that he knew exactly where to dial in the preamp volume knob on each recording...he knew where his amps redline. Like I said before, what I noticed on his McIntosh/ Bozak system was a neutrality across the entire frequency range. Compared to my system, mine sounded somewhat brighter in the high frequency range, so maybe a tube amp will help bring that down to a more neutral level...don't get me wrong, I do have a nice sounding system, but like you, I'm always looking too improve.

Did you get your rear sub situation taken care of?
What's the target date on being back home and for how long?

Praying for you, Jeen & daughter
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Thanks Buddy,
I hear you about always wanting to improve your system.
I hope you can, and I think a fine tube amp might just be the ticket. But I do think there is still a call for power, which is why I am looking seriously at hybrid amps.
I did not have a chance to get anything sorted out at home, once I got things just back up and running. I did catch some fish and eat em though.
On the road again for 3 weeks, then back home for another week, then more, so not much time to sort things out these days.
But I am working on retirement, soon I hope.
I pray for you and your wife every day too.
All the best,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by anthem. info_outline
The USPS made a delivery today...Frank is in the house.
Frank Catalono/Cut it Out (1998)
Frank started playing the saxophone when he was 10 years old, he recorded "Cut it Out"at age 19. He is arguably one of the world's finest sax players and this CD is a testament to that. Check out the title track "Cut it Out," this my friend is music.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Told the wife this morning this is what the "cool kids" listen to...she agrees!
Garage A Trois/Outre Mer (2005)
This CD is a sheer delight to listen to...there are so many good songs it's hard to pick just one.
I have but one qualm...track #6 "The Dream" is a sonic disaster. The instrument being played (sax or flute...hard to tell) is distorted to the max. I've never heard the song in its entirety, always skip to the next track.

Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A cousin from Tennessee commented today that he had been listening to Kenny G on the radio, here's what he had to say.
"Sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. Yikes! Don't like him.

Currently listening to:
Kenny G / G Force (1990)
R&B/funk/jazz...there are a few good songs on this one, in particular track 4 "G Force". Sound bright? Yes..sound squeaky? Yes ...
This is the only Kenny G I own....or will ever own...sonic crap.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back