file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 2 months ago

John Coltrane / Coltrane (1957) -- Violets for your Furs

Great song, sweet cd. A must have for any Coltrane fan.
Well recorded and easy to listen to.

Well Rick...it looks like it's just you and me. Slap Coltrane on the Sony's and prepare to be Wowed. Good Stuff is Good Stuff.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 months ago

A little Coltrane for me this evening. Returned the expensive cables I was auditioning and was left a bit confused. There's no confusion on Blue Train: great album! The bass is particularly tuneful on this one and the brass sounds like I'm at the club, though there aren't many spatial cues. Good classic studio recording.

Anthem, glad you're liking Mingus Dynasty. It's a great album. So many layers to the sound. I know you don't like the snap,crackle, and pop, but this one is great on vinyl. Better than the CD in my humble opinion.

Had a quick trip to Vegas early this week for work. I'm glad to be back home and listening to music on a real setup. I didn't even have headphones with me on this trip. I've been contemplating a new set of cans for when I'm traveling. They need to be efficient, closed back, and sound great. I suppose I could go for the Oppo setup and get the portable amp as well to help ensure quality sound. It just seems like a lot of extra wires and devices to juggle.

Rick, I'm with you on the Northern European heritage. When I think of Nordic, I think of Vikings, cross country skiing, and Volvos. Pig tails and pimples don't quite come to mind but we all have our preconceived notions... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. Bumping Coltrane through with another Coltrane. Sorry for the double tap, folks.
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Starting off a long 4th of July weekend! It's been a hectic May and June. Starting a week of vacation as of quitting time this afternoon. Woohoo! :woohoo:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I've been listening to a lot of piano the past few days. I started yesterday with Solo by Fred Hersch. It's a good album but the recording quality is easily bested by the recordings from the mid 1960s on Thelonious Monk's Solo Monk album. That doesn't even get into who is the better musician... It's a bit sad that sound quality isn't significantly better 50 years later.

Anyways, listening to a recording with only one instrument can be a bit monotonous, but not so with this album on the Triton Ones. The dynamics are fantastic. You definitely get the percussive effect of the hammers striking strings. The recording is very transparent as well and while there is no crowd noise as with Hersch's live recording on Solo, there is still things happening in the background. It's a little distracting but not too bad. If you enjoy jazz piano, this is a must have!

Cheers,

T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 2 months ago

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band / Act Your Age (2008) -- Punta Del Soul (featuring Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour)

No way around it, this is just plain fun and highly entertaining music.
I'd love to see these boys live, I'll bet they put on quite a show.

T Cobe: how's Jamie faring with all this Free Jazz stuff you're playing?
Does she think her man has finally grown up?
Are Coltrane and Mingus her new Favs ?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Glen Campbell playing the William Tell Overture on electric guitar, with orchestra back-up , from years ago, reminiscent of The Lone Ranger.

Glen could pluck a string or two in his heyday. Anthem, I guess you would put this in the "GIDDY UP" category :P ???

I give Glen a lot of credit for continuing to tour and perform as long as he did

Fun stuff.

Have a great vacation, T Cobe!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back