file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 2 months ago

Paul Motian Band / Garden of Eden (2006) -- Endless

Paul has an OK band...problem is, his music never gets out of first gear.

Rick: your picture must be experiencing an sizing issue...can't see it.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Charlie Hunter Trio / Bing, Bing, Bing (1995) -- Fistful of Haggis
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Rick, the pics have to be below 750 Kb which isn't very big. I usually mail them to myself and my phone asks if I want to send the file as small, medium, or original size. I usually have to go with medium or small to post on the forum.

Anthem, some great song selections the past couple of days! I hear what you're saying about Paul Motian: very mellow. Steady Groovin' is on my wish list with Amazon. It's a little on the smooth side for me, but I like it.

Speaking of Amazon, they leaked out on me and no new Charles Mingus today. :angry: I ordered the album over 6 weeks ago... I guess it's popular or hard to find. Maybe I can take a trip to the music store and find a copy.

This album arrived last week and I'm just dipping into it now. Things have been hectic here. I did manage to stop by my local GET dealer and borrowed a few cables to try at home. I've been experimenting with the Red Dawn speaker and power cable and a Blue Heaven power cable. So far, I think the Red Dawn power cable has made the biggest difference. I'm still trying to process the listening tests. I wish I had more power cables to try simultaneously but I'm leaning towards replacing the power cables to my amps first. It may be time to try an AntiCable power cord.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by anthem. info_outline
T Cobe:

I still think you would be better off ordering used through Amazon.com
I have had wonderful success ordering used, and very cheaply too. Ninety nine percent of the orders i've placed, arrive in 4-6 days. Two Ravi Coltrane disc's arrived this afternoon...ordered Sunday afternoon. Don't order from the U.K. as those orders take to long and on occasion get lost.

And Yes...U NEED TO AUDITION THE ANTI-CABLE REFERENCE 3 POWERCORDS...A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN...

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 months ago

I tried returning the speaker and power cables graciously on loan from my local dealer yesterday, but fate had different ideas. I spent 2 hours parked on the interstate before being turned around by the highway patrol. Instead of fighting the detour traffic, I just went back home. 3 hours I'll never get back but if I'm making lemonade, at least I still have all of the cables. I have everything hooked up and the sound is pretty sweet.

The Red Dawn speaker cables seem to match well with the same model interconnects and power cable. The results are a deep soundstage, barker backgrounds, slightly better focus and resolution while the sound stage may be a bit more recessed and slightly smaller than with the generic 18-7 power wire. The differences without the power cable is very subtle. The addition of the Nordost power cables seem to have a synergistic effect. Due to Nordost's terrible marketing, I really don't know that they design the cables in the same line to work together, but it seems as though that is the end result. Mixing and matching the Pangea power cables and 18-7 wire with the Nordost gear seems to net some inconsistent results. Using just the power cable or just the speaker wires is actually a step down in sound quality.

I have an electrician coming back out to install a few outlets directly behind my 2-channel setup. This should allow me to keep my cords short, tidy, and lower cost. While AntiCables are the same price for both 3' and 5', Nordost charges a premium for extra length. Anthem, have you tried the level 2 power cables as well as the level 3? What are your conclusions for which components most benefit? Would you concur with their website in terms of priority order? 8 gauge wire from their level 3 cord seems a bit overkill for a CD player. 11 or 14 gauge with the same geometry would seem more than sufficient. Maybe I'll pick up a few level 3 cords and play around a bit.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, T Cobe

Re Anti-Cable reference 3 8 gauge power cords vs smaller gauge, I'm sure Anthem can provide plenty of insight. For what it's worth, from my own conversations with the anti-Cable folks, their feedback is that that the extra copper isn't for more power handling, but to have more digital noise filtering effect, so their recommendation is reference 3 on ANY component as the first choice, and to try them first on the components doing the most digital processing and hence making the most digital noise, I. E. sources. I know they make a big difference on my sources (AVR and OPPO). I'd love to get your feedback on the Anti-Cables if you try them vs. all the other power cords you've tried.

Re the picture I want to share, of NH scenery, the file size I sent via my iphone is SMALL... have tried multiple ways to insert it, even uploaded it to Photobucket. The file APPEARS to be inserted, but does not show up on the post. Frustrating... videos get inserted so easily. I'll find a way. Funny, I can post a picture to my Avatar, no sweat.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back