file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Oh yeah, I listened...to the whole album! Redman is amazing and the musicians that made up his quartet on Moodswing were excellent as well. I will say Redman is a brilliant saxophonist. Not surprising since he graduated summa cum laude from Harvard and turned down Yale law school to become a jazz musician; following in his father's footsteps.

In a word: smooth! The sax on this album was recorded extremely well. It was never harsh or glaring and always sounded warm and dynamic. Unlike a lot of classic jazz recordings, this is clean. There is no hiss or other distractions to get in the way of the music.

If I'm being picky, and I am by pointing this out, this definitely sounded like a studio recording. All instruments were dead center in the recording. It doesn't sound bad, but it's hard to feel like your at a live performance with all the instruments taking up the same space. Like I said, that's being picky and it certainly is not a fault of the musicians but rather the production.

I highly recommend this album. It will fall in on my frequently played rotation. Thanks for the recommendation, Anthem. This is a keeper!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Demo'd Willie Nelson Milk Cow Blues to friends on my 5.1 system last night. Then had to listen to it on the 2 channel with GET T1s. Sad to say my 5.1 system now sounds totally lacking compared to the T1s...

This is Willie doing blues so not for everyone but I love it...
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Pbgalvin,

I know what you mean, that's why my 2-channel setup is in the same room as my theater using my T1s for both, but separate electronics. T1s are just too good to leave out of either theater or music!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Oh interesting, hadn't even thought of that. Would be tough on the WAF (wife acceptance factor) to have 2 X mains in the main room of our house.
It's a very large room so have big mains currently. Wondering if T1s plus GET surrounds and center would move enough air for it and therefore should replace my 5.1 with GET as well as have them on my 2 channel... hmmm.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Moodswinging again tonight with Joshua Redman. I took the spikes out of my T1s to make adjusting position easier. There was an off sound last night to the bass in this quartet. It lacked definition and tone while being a bit boomy. I suspected it was my speaker positioning and not the recording. Turns out I was right. A little further from the front and side walls and it's a world of difference. I guess I'm learning a thing or two... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Pbgalvin wrote: Oh interesting, hadn't even thought of that. Would be tough on the WAF (wife acceptance factor) to have 2 X mains in the main room of our house.
It's a very large room so have big mains currently. Wondering if T1s plus GET surrounds and center would move enough air for it and therefore should replace my 5.1 with GET as well as have them on my 2 channel... hmmm.

Well, my space is fairly large and I couldn't be happier! Food for thought. I really love my T1s, SCXL, and Aon 3 surrounds. It creates some massive sound. I can't go anywhere near reference. -20 on my volume is about as loud as I like to go for movie night. -25 or -30 for normal TV viewing. If the GET speakers are smaller than you current speakers, that should help with the WAF.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back