file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Anthem,

You are correct, we have the same version CD and there are definitely issues. So What is the worst and it's still a bit of a mess on the album version. Freddie Freeloader and Blue in Green are pretty clean on the LP. I'll have to go back and play the CD again to say with any level of certainty that the LP is a bit less distorted.

It's odd that this album is so wildly popular despite the distortion in the mastering. If you find a completely clean version, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll go back this weekend and compare to the CD. One thing is for certain, the LP sounded great when the mastering was on and the distortion was less objectionable.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi Guy's!! I have Kinda Blue in hi-res from HDTracks. There is still that fuzzy tint to the horn as it fades out, but I think it's not as bad as you are describing on CD? Its definitely distorted, too bad such a great set of music is recorded so poorly :(

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hey TCobe

Last night before I played the Miles Davis kind of blue CD I put on an application of Optrix, I don't believe I had ever cleaned it prior. When I popped it into the CD player the first thing I noticed of course was the distortion but I also noticed that Miles trumpet sounded a little extra bright. On track 3 the muted trumpet also sounded somewhat harsh. This morning I decided to go ahead and replay the cd. Before I replayed it I decided to really look at the surface. It had a slight haze but no scratches. I gave it an application of Mapleshade Mikrosmooth, rinsed it off then took a good look...I still had some splotches. I took a tissue and really buffed it out to where you could comb your hair in it. I popped it back in the cd player and hit play. Of course the distortion was still there, just not as pronounced. Miles trumpet came through loud and clear as did the sax . Tonight I want to reclean the CD and reapply Optrix to see how that sounds.
I think what I had initially done was seal in the grunge with the initial application of Optrix.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Listening to Dark Side of the Moon, Side A. This will be my first time through. Anthem, I know this is a favorite of yours as much as you and Wayne talk about it! ;)

Record was a little snap, crackle and pop before a quick cleaning despite the fact that it was brand new. After a quick cleaning, it sounds right as rain. Two songs in and I'm not quite sold...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
T Cobe

SIGH :unsure:
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Anthem,

I hear you. It is a classic and I don't think any collection would be complete without it but I think it would help to be on acid when listening to this album. Or at least that's what I'm guessing. I've never touched the stuff but this seems like some hippie, dippy, psychedelic stuff. Made me want to go put on some tie-die and bell bottoms...or maybe some tie-died bell bottoms. Maybe I'll enjoy Side B more. Half of side A was sound effects. The alarm clock sure made my dogs jump!

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back